cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client and multicast

markwysong
Level 1
Level 1

I have an XP PC which is at a remote site, which I need to connect to my company's network via VPN client. This PC has 2 NIC cards - one for a private LAN, which receives data via multicast, and a public LAN, which will be used for VPN.

When I connect the VPN, the multicast receiving stops. Is there any way to enable it on the second (private) NIC card?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Can you go into the Network Properties of the card, and disable / uncheck the Deterministic Network Enhancer, and see if that makes a difference?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

auraza
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you receive any other traffic on that interface? Unicast? Or is it just multicast that stops?

I receive other traffic on that interface. Seems everything works on that NIC except multicast, like that address space has been "disabled".

Can you enable logging on the VPN client to Level 15. What you would do is first enable logging and change all the log levels to 3, then close the GUI. Open the vpnclient.ini file under c:\program files\cisco systems\vpn client\ and change all the LogLevel=3 to LogLevel=15. Save the file, then launch the GUI, and launch the Log Window - don't change any Log settings.

Once you connect, see if you catch anything in the logs when receiving multicast traffic about it being dropped etc. You could also run wireshark on that interface to see if the physical interface actually sees the packet.

No, I don't. I see a bunch of stuff with the VPN connecting, but nothing about multicast traffic.

What about wireshark?

I've installed wireshark, but evidently it can't see my network cards. Maybe I need to reboot...

Wireshark shows the multicast traffic on the second NIC card until the VPN connects. Then it disappears altogether.

Can you go into the Network Properties of the card, and disable / uncheck the Deterministic Network Enhancer, and see if that makes a difference?

WOW...that seemed to work....you're a genius. Thank you very much!

Oh, good. Would appreciate if you could rate the post!

Thanks!

Done!! I can't thank you enough. This just saved a lot of travel, and thousands of dollars of troubleshooting.

Glad I could help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: