cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1250 AP with 5.2 dBi mast mount AIR-ANT2506

hensleeds
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am currently deploying a wireless network using Aironet 1250 ap's. I would like to use a few of these in an outdoor setting enclosed in a NEMA enclosures. I was going to use attach a single mast mount omnidirectional antenna to these 1250's. Will this work correctly or do I have to attach three to take advantage of the MIMO technology in the 1250 model? I have tested one with a single AIR-ANT2506 5.2 Db antenna and have had good results. Just wondering if connecting two more would make a difference , because the the ceiling mount antennas that we use for the indoor installations have 3 connections to the ap. I know this may sound silly, but i could not find any literature on Cisco's site regarding this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

You can go with a signal antenna but you will not get 'n' rates. To get the full range of data rates you will need all three antennas connected.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

You can go with a signal antenna but you will not get 'n' rates. To get the full range of data rates you will need all three antennas connected.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know when the Data Sheet will be updated but the new antennae for the 1250 is the AIR-ANT2451NV. Unlike the predecessor, this model will support both radios.

I generally recommend that you stuck with the Cisco AP/antenna solutions.

However, if you must have something now, then you might want to look at something like this:

http://www.terrawaveonline.com/Dynamic/itemdesc.asp?CartId=14103142OMPBQ9-EVEREST-9&Cc=MIMO1A%5F5&ic=M6060060MO13602&tpc=

Leo: the September IOS release notes make mention of the AIR-ANT2451. However, the notes describe it as shown below. It may not be designed for outdoor use:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/12_4_21a_JA1rn.html

Antenna support

This feature provides support for the new antenna, AIR-ANT2451NV-R. This low-profile, omnidirectional antenna features six elements: a set of three antennas for the 2.4-GHz band and a set of three antennas for the 5-GHz band. Peak gain is 2.5-dBi in the 2.4-GHz band and 3.5-dBi in the 5-GHz band. This antenna was specifically designed for use with 802.11n access points to optimize performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card