cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Interconnect 2 datacenter vs Multi-Chassis EtherChannel

ROBERTO TACCON
Level 4
Level 4

Neet to interconnect 2 datacenter (extend the Layer2) with 2 indipendent 1Gbps links (total available 2Gbps) and the requirements are:

- use 4 switches for HA (2 switches on both datacenters with each the 1Gbps link );

- transport between the 2 datacenter many ethernet 802.1q VLANs (layer 2 frame 1522 bytes);

- use all the band. available.

As solution is it possible to use/configure Multi-Chassis EtherChannel to aggregate the 2 links (or are available other feature to aggregate the 2 links)?

On which cisco platform is Multi-Chassis EtherChannel available ?

Any other solution (i know i can use spanning-tree and configure VLAN odd to the 1st link and VLAN even on the other) ?

Thanks to all.

Roberto Taccon

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Roberto,

I may be wrong but I think multi chassis etherchannel is a VSS feature that is on each side you should deploy two C6500 as a VSS.

Or you can use a stack of two C3750 on each side. They also support a bundle using links of different member switches.

using differentiated STP root bridges or STP per vlan costs should provide per vlan load sharing and can be a possible solution too.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I post again the question:

*** request:

Neet to interconnect 2 datacenter (extend the Layer2) with 2 indipendent 1Gbps links (total available 2Gbps) and the requirements

are:

- use 4 switches for HA (2 switches on both datacenters with each the 1Gbps link );

- transport between the 2 datacenter many ethernet 802.1q VLANs (layer 2 frame 1522 bytes);

- use all the band. available 2 Gbps.

*** planning

planning to do this bonding to a logically linked pair of switches that operate as a single virtual switch, using "MEC" or using etherchannel with stacking or …. (The theory is that if a switch in the MEC-pair fails, the bond/trunk link continues working through the other switch with degraded throughput.)

*** solutions and QUESTIONS :

**1st solution:

i use 2 stacked cisco switches (2 on the 1st DC and 2 on the other DC) and configure a Cross-Stack EtherChannel

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00806cb982.shtml

Q.: ANY NEGATIVE CONSIDERATION (if i need to upgrade the IOs need to reload the entire stack simultaneously) ?

**2nd solution:

As solution is it possible to use/configure Multi-Chassis EtherChannel to aggregate the 2 links

Q.: ON WHICH CISCO PLATFORM IS Multi-Chassis EtherChannel available ?

**3rd solution:

use spanning-tree and configure VLAN odd to the 1st link and VLAN even on the other

**4thsolution:

Q.: ANY OTHER SOLUTION ?

THANKS AGAIN.

Hello Roberto,

what is this?

a job interview, a design based exam scenario?

a real world job project?

however:

Q.: ON WHICH CISCO PLATFORM IS Multi-Chassis EtherChannel available ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1062284

Q4:

port based EoMPLS provides extension over an MPLS network.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi giuseppe,

thanks for the reply (it's a real job project).

May I ask you if the VSS feature will be available for other switch platform (45xx/37xx) ?

Roberto

Hello Roberto,

as far as I know the answer is negative:

VSS requires new specifically developed supervisors for C6500 and new 6708 or 6716 10GE linecards.

The new linecards have an ASIC on them that allow to encapsulate frames into VS protocol frame.

This chip is missing on C6704 that is not usable for the VSS link(s)

VSS exports control plane and data plane and a single supervisor controls both chassis with second supervisor in hot standby.

So it is not a viable option even with normal C6500 hardware it needs specific Hw and SW.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco