cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure an external Cisco MDS 9124 Switch

davidsmith66
Level 1
Level 1

I have worked with some other Fibre switches before but not Cisco and was wondering if someone can pass me some quick info on how to configure the MDS 9124. I saw the Quick Guide and it briefly talked about config, but do I have to go thru hyperterminal to do the initial IP config? Is there a default one already I can use to get to the WebGUI. Some of the ones I worked with (like the ones that come with the Bladecenter) have a default IP, where I can enter the IP into the web browser and access the GUI right away and start doing configs.

With the MDS 9124, can I do this? Or do I have to configure IP thru hyperterminal and then install Fabric Manager etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3 Replies 3

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

I assume that you actually read the guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/hw/9124/quick/quide/9124QSG.html

Setup of the network is pretty clear. If the switch is brand new, you have to give it an IP address. Generally just follow the dotted line and don't vary except if you know what you are doing.

Once its on the network, DM and FM can do the rest.

The 9124e's don't have serial ports so the OA looks after that for you.

yes, thanks saw and read the guide. just wasnt too sure how easy it would be using the console port.

i know fabric manager comes on a cd with the equipment, but is there any place to download the latest copy? i haven't been able to find that online anywhere.

Using the console port is easy.

Getting FM on the other hand is a pain. You need a Cisco account to download it. Us end users don't seem be able to get an account as we don't purchase the equipment from Cisco. Cisco's MDS business model sucks.

I have been a MDS user for close on 5 years through different channel partners and I have never been given an CCO account. A billion IP switch users have them. It does not make any sense.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: