cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS upload from ROMMON

sudhirhk1972
Level 1
Level 1

As the title says, I finally got an IOS image for my cisco 2621 router, the name of the file being c2600-i-mz.123.26.bin. Now, the problem is I am neither able to do tftp as I keep getting 'operation time out' error, nor xmodem as I get the 'no response from remote system' error. I have checked the ip address and subnet mask and gateway ip and they are all correct. I am pulling my hair!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Great, dont forget to mark this resolved

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

When using XMODEM you need to send the file from hyperterminal as per the document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Sudhir

When you say that you have tried TFTP and it times out, I am not clear whether you are talking about normal TFTP or are talking about tftpdnld. In your case I believe that tftpdnld is the best solution, assuming that your router supports this in rommon.

If you are using tftpdnld and getting timeouts I would first check carefully to be sure that the necessary parameters are being set correctly (and remember that the parameters are specified in upper case for tftpdnld). If you are sure that the parameters are set correctly then I would check to see if the PC where the image file is located is running a firewall that may be blocking the request from the router.

If the parameters are correct on the router, and if there is no firewall denying the request, then I would check the TFTP server running on the PC. Was the TFTP server running correctly at the time that you attempted the download? Is the TFTP server pointing to the correct folder or directory where the image file is? Does the TFTP server have log files and if so does do the log files show the attempt to access TFTP from the router? What was the response from the TFTP server?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

Establish basic connectivity first. Can you ping the router from the tftp server?

If you are using tftpdnld, make sure that you are connecting your system(tftp server) to the port 0 because by default the router searches for the tftp server on the lowest port.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2600 doesn't support tftpdnld. XModem is the only way to go.

Can u tell me teh detail process of what are u doing in X modem...then i could tell u wher u going wrong....

Thanks to you all guys! I successfully uploaded the IOS onto my Router!!!

Great, dont forget to mark this resolved

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco