Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP - GRE Tunnel + Combine Two physical link

Amin Shaikh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Our Service provider cannot provide one pipe of 6MB, so we got two pipe of each 3MB. Both links with Ethernet interface.

Our requirement is to connect GRE Tunnel to our consultant-corporate network.

Autocad file would be transferred on this link so need 6MB VPN Tunnel.

Consultant-Corporate-network standards is to use EIGRP as routing protocol.

Need to understand how to combine two pipe to use full bandwidth or what options I have.

9 Replies 9

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amin

Who established the requirement to connect GRE Tunnel to our consultant-corporate network? Why is it important that it be GRE?

I do not see a good alternative to combine 2 links of 3Mb to get result of 6Mb. The obvious choice would be PPP Multilink, except that I do not believe that it works over Ethernet.

Perhaps you might configure 2 GRE tunnels (one on each of the Ethernet interfaces) and use one tunnel for normal traffic and reserve the other tunnel for the Autocad.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The Consultant-IT team send requirement as IPSEC GRE with EIGRP protocol.

If you can help to confirm if PPP multilink works with Ethernet then I can suggest this option.

Can you help on how to configure one tunnel for normal traffic and another tunnel for Autocad.

PPP multilink does not work with Ethernet interface.

Multilink is for serial interfaces.

So I am left with one option as Rick mentioned.

Can you help on how to configure one tunnel for normal traffic and another tunnel for Autocad.

Amin

Here are my suggestions about how to configure this:

- configure 2 GRE tunnels

- configure IPSec on both tunnels

- configure EIGRP to run on one of the tunnels

- if you want the second tunnel to function as a backup for failure of the first tunnel (in the case of a failure of the first tunnel then it would then share traffic for Autocad with other traffic) configure EIGRP on the second tunnel and apply an offset list to make the metric worse than the metric on the primary tunnel. If you want the second tunnel reserved only for Autocad then do not configure EIGRP on the second tunnel.

- Configure Policy Based Routing to identify the Autocad traffic and route that traffic through the second tunnel.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Attached is the config for R1 and R2 with network IP input. Can you help in plugging the missing PBR commands,as I dont have sound idea on it.

I would need Tunnel20 to be used only to pass AutoCad traffic from autocad host on R2 to destination ip network on R1.

Is it possible to prevent traffic for Autocad Host from Tunnel10 from both R1 and R2.

Hi,

Can get help on PBR config based on simulated config

The solution may be simple. I would suggest you to test the following.

Just create one loopback interface on remote router and, on local router, 2 tunnel interfaces and 2 static routes to the tunnel destination address, then use per-packet load balance, as bellow. What needs to be tested is how gre/ipsec will handle the possibility of out-of-order packets.

! ---

! remote router

int lo0

ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

! ---

! local router

int lo1

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255

int tu 0

tunnel destination 1.1.1.1

tunnel source lo1

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 fa0/0

ip route 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 fa0/1

ip cef

int f0/0

ip load-sharing per-packet

int f0/1

ip load-sharing per-packet

Hi,

I am looking for config Help as Rik stated

Config Requirement:

" I would need Tunnel20 to be used only to pass AutoCad traffic from autocad host on R2 to destination ip network on R1.

Is it possible to prevent traffic for Autocad Host from Tunnel10 from both R1 and R2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: