cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10G Bigger Pipe on ONS 15454

exchange1
Level 1
Level 1

I have two STM4 SDH capacities and one STM16 SDH spanning two cities over different service providers. See Attachment, I have two Cisco ONS 15454 in two cities, one of the ONS is connected to a GSR router serving as core router while the second ONS is connected to a 7609-S serving as MPLS-PE router, their is DOT1q tagging transparently carried over the SDH circuits between the two routers. I want to make these capacities one big Ethernet pipe (10G) at both ends, this fat pipe should be able to carry multiple VLANs between the attached routers at both ends. Is this achievable? if yes what kind of Ethernet cards do I require on ONS and the routers? Any supporting document will be highly appreciated.

8 Replies 8

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 15454 does not have an 10GE card that will subdivide the payload across multiple lower-rate services.

One option might be to find a service provider that sells wavelength services between the two facilities.

Another option would be with a service provider that sells Ethernet transport.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

"I want to make these capacities one big Ethernet pipe (10G) at both ends, this fat pipe should be able to carry multiple VLANs between the attached routers at both ends"

Few questions

you have STM 4 & 16 between your 2 ONS and you want to add STM 64 GE card to carry over STM 4 & 16 network ? If you dont have STM64 between London & Lagos then why do you need STM 64 at end nodes. You can see if 10 port ethernet card is useful in your case.

What crossconnect card you have in your box 10G or 60G.

If 10G then you cannot use 10G card in your 15454. Only with 60G you can use 10G ethernet card.

I have 60G cross connect cards, but I am not sure if Cisco produce a 10G ethernet cards for ONS 15454?

Wavelength or Ethernet circuit is not available from this provider, I can only obtain SDH.

I want to use a 10G Ethernet port on the ONS because the combination of 2 STM4s and STM16 is above 3G and so 10G is next in hierarchy.

Other vendors like ECI, HUAWEI boasted they could deliver on the request. That will mean removing my Cisco ONS 15454.

"but I am not sure if Cisco produce a 10G ethernet cards for ONS 15454?"

cisco also have 10G Ethernet card but it can go over DWDM box not STM 16 & STM 4.

I am not sure what ECi and Huwai are offering but i am sure of one thing that even if they give you 10G Ethernet card but you CANNOT map that single Ethernet card to your 3 STM interfaces (1 STM 16 & 2 STM 4). As far as i know you can map one ethernet port to one SDH port (either 1 STM 16 or 1 STM 4).

Before believing ECI & Huwaei discuss that solution with some people, as I know one thing there can be lot of strings later on.

They say totally different thing before but once you buy that then you get to know the real features. You will have the feature but with lot of if & but.

What you can do is if that makes sense in your case, take 10 1Gig (Total 10G) ethernet card then you can map 3 ethernet ports to 3 STM interfaces you have.

Whats is the max speed your provider can give you? If they give you 10G SDH then see if you can get 10G POS card for your routers.

You can think of DWDM solution, this way you can take 10G direct over a wavelngth and lot many later. What is the distance between your 2 ONS?

It is very possible that other platforms have a 10GE card that supports Virtual Concatenation (VCAT) and Link Capacity Adjustment Scheme (LCAS) that can distribute STSs across multiple WAN (SONET/SDH) interfaces. This would be very similar to the ML-Series card, L2 switching capability, only at 10GE level. Unfortunately, I am unaware of any development in this area (up to Cisco Product Mgmt).

Sure, other platform support VCAT & LCAS that distribute STSs across SDH interfaces. The limitation of ML-series is the 1Gbps ports and not 10G. It seems I might have to invest in other platforms??

"other platform support VCAT & LCAS that distribute STSs across SDH interfaces"

Is other platform map 1 Ethernet across multiple SDH interfaces.?

Are you talking about XDM 3000 from ECI (as far as i remember XDM 1000 was not having 10G Ethernet interface). XDM 3000 have 240G crossconnect whereas 1000 was having 60G. Looks like there are many 10G interfaces & maybe they have many 10G ethernet ports on the same box.

A design question there can be several solutions to ur problem.

Based on your requirements, it looks like you would need to invest in a new platform to deploy this configuration.

With all the talk of carrier Ethernet service providers, it is too bad that one does not exist in your area. This would be a perfect application for them... large user interface with scalable bandwidth to meet your growing needs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: