Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA pppoe Server and hardware selection

refik.becirovic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i was trying to find is it possible to configure ASA as pppoe server, I am running smaller wireless network with aprox 2000 users that are authenticated on radius server.

If it is not possible i was thinking to buy cisco integrated service router 2800 series with fw modul and ips. the tricky part is selecting of hardware since all of these users will be nated on that device, so i will need RAM, i red somewhere that each nat connection takes aprox. 400bytes of ram.

if you can tell me where on cisco is possible to find infos for about density and inspection of packets per second.

is there such document since i just find platform amount of ram and for cpu written high density not written how many packets per sec.. etc

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Refik,

ASA shouldn't be able to act as PPPoE server

see most recent config guide for ASA

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/config.html

About C2800:

firewall features are SW based and require the appropriate IOS image and license.

C2800 can act as PPPoE server my only concern is about the number of concurrent PPPoE clients it can serve.

this depends from IDB table size that says how many interfaces can exist on a node.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a0080094322.shtml#idb_limits

for c2851 this number is 1000.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I thought C2800 support more, Thanks Giuseppe. helped a lot.

I think i will install linux on some of the servers and run it from linux.

i would have to buy 7200 series since my network will expand, and that device supports 10.000 idb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card