Router 1602

Unanswered Question
Oct 12th, 2009


I have this old router...I want to use it, but the WIC port is a serial port and I have an Ethernet RJ-45 cable from my ISP. What can I use to convert from RJ-45 to serial?

The router is modular. Can I but another Ethernet card and use it to connect to my ISP?

thank u!

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Richard Burts Mon, 10/12/2009 - 05:33


In your post you refer to the provider connection as "Ethernet RJ45". I am not clear whether you really mean that it is an Ethernet connection or whether you might mean RJ45 and you normally associate that with Ethernet. Some serial connections come as RJ45 (especially when conecting to a CSU/DSU or a router with a built in CSU/DSU. Can you clarify what kind of connection the provider is giving you?



Spinu Viorel Mon, 10/12/2009 - 06:00

I have a cable modem connection, and from the modem a RJ45 cable to my computer .. and I want to put this router between the modem and my computer. It is an Ethernet connection.

Richard Burts Mon, 10/12/2009 - 09:29


This clarification is helpful. The cable modem certainly uses Ethernet for the interface that you will use. So you would need 2 Ethernet interfaces. I am not sure that the 1602 supports 2 Ethernet interfaces.




This Discussion