Views
Helpful
Replies

Router 1602

Spinu Viorel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have this old router...I want to use it, but the WIC port is a serial port and I have an Ethernet RJ-45 cable from my ISP. What can I use to convert from RJ-45 to serial?

The router is modular. Can I but another Ethernet card and use it to connect to my ISP?

thank u!

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Get yourself an AUI transceiver - this will give you another Ethernet Interface.

HTH>

Spinu

In your post you refer to the provider connection as "Ethernet RJ45". I am not clear whether you really mean that it is an Ethernet connection or whether you might mean RJ45 and you normally associate that with Ethernet. Some serial connections come as RJ45 (especially when conecting to a CSU/DSU or a router with a built in CSU/DSU. Can you clarify what kind of connection the provider is giving you?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I have a cable modem connection, and from the modem a RJ45 cable to my computer .. and I want to put this router between the modem and my computer. It is an Ethernet connection.

Spinu

This clarification is helpful. The cable modem certainly uses Ethernet for the interface that you will use. So you would need 2 Ethernet interfaces. I am not sure that the 1602 supports 2 Ethernet interfaces.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card