cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP upgrade tool and Windows 7 (64 bit)

cmarek1981
Level 1
Level 1

I know this tool does not have a version for windows 7 but the company foisted the OS off on me to "Test" It works fine with windows 7 32 bit but I have windows 7 64 bit.

So, I was attempting to install and use the autonomous to LWAPP tool to upgrade an 1131 AP to LWAPP. I DL'ed version 3.4 which is the most current I could find. unfortunately, it gives me an error installing saying it could not read from the IPUT file and after installation it is convinced I already have a TFTP server running, which I do not. In addition to all that, when attempting to Uninstall the tool it says _SETUP.DLL is missing.

With that information in hand I found the _SETUP.DLL on another machine I use and copied it over which resulted in no improvements of note. I did register the dll as well. Any ideas?

8 Replies 8

Peter Nugent
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think it highly unl;ikely that the upgrade tool is supported in either 32 or 64 bit windows 7 as its not actually released yet so its buyer beware. If it works your lucky. Wcs isnt supported in 64bit but is in 32 bit so I guess its watch this space unless you find a way around it.

I assume you are using the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) version. I would suggest, if possible, you might want to use the new XP Virtual PC feature (run XP on Windows 7), if the version of Windows 7 you are running supports it. I think the VM runs XP SP3 32-bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

You could also try changing the advance properties of the executable and indicate that it should be run in "compatability mode" of Windows XP 32-bit (I think that's an option, but my Windows 7 computer is at home)

Whatever route you take, you will receive no support from Cisco in this configuration. If you can avoid it, it might be better to not do LWAPP upgrades with Windows 7 until something official comes out.

petenugent - please be aware that Windows 7 was released to many people on August 6th. The general public release (of the exact same media) is due on October 22.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/21/when-will-you-get-windows-7-rtm.aspx

Eric Christanto
Level 1
Level 1

I used tftpd64, LWAPP upgrade tool ver3.4, and win7 64 bit.

I got an installation error "could not open the iput file" and when I tried to uninstall, it couldn't be done because the _SETUP.DLL missed.

at first, I thought that the upgrade tool software wouldn't work, but still I went to "c:\program files(x86)\Cisco system\ Upgrade Tool" and run "UpgradeTool.exe".

Amazingly, the software worked normally as usual.. and I successfully upgraded my 1131AP to LWAP.

Brian Hurley
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 7 has been out for quite some time now, and there is still no supported Upgrade Tool for it?

The only time you need the Upgrade Tool is if your AP was manufactured before 7/2005.  most of the AP you are going to be seeing now will have a manufacturor installed cert and not need to generate the Self Signed Cert.  Most of the AP that you would need to use the tool on, are not going to be supported on the newer code anyway.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Well we still have some of those apparently.  I tried the upgrade an AP via the archive commands without the tool, and the AP did not recover so I am going to have to take it down from the ceiling and probably need to pull that cert off of it.  I should have just searched for an XP laptop .

What model AP?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They will not upgrade the tool either.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card