cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Dialup Connectivity to Routers

CHRIS KALETH
Level 5
Level 5

We want to deploy modems at each of our remote locations so we can remotely console into our devices in the event the router fails or IOS upgrade failure. Does anyone recommend a modem to use (US and in Europe) and additionally a secure config to allow dial up access to the router.

If there are other methods you recommend please let me know!!

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

We use Avocents. They are stable, offer dual connectivity (LAN and dial-up among others), and are secure. We've been running them for years and have never had a problem with them.

http://avocent.com/products/serial-consolemanagement.aspx

Did you ever review the Digi products? How do you lock down the devices so someone cannot dialin and gain access to the LAN? Do you have a sample Cisco config you can provide?

I did review the Digi products but we ended with the Avocents. If you need dial-in security you'll have to use the call-back feature. You can also secure each port before it will connect and you can secure the console from the Cisco device. The config is no different than normal, you're just making a console connection.

line con 0

exec-timeout 5 0

login authentication AAA_Auth

logging synchronous

no transport output

Just curious, why Avocents or Digi? Thanks!

We work on gov't contracts so we had to go with a US based corporation (Digi is based out of Canada) per our leadership team. Actually Digi was the front runner until that notice came down. Stupid if you ask me since we use a Nortel phone system.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: