cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

best way for redundancy

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

I have a situation where I have a main site that has a 6506-E switch and a remote site that has a 1841 router. I am wanting to do some redundancy for these two sites, and I thought I put an ASA with a site to site vpn at each site, where they go out to the Internet for a second connection. They currently have an MPLS circuit where the two sites exchange traffic,and all Internet traffic goes out each sites own Internet connection. Im wanting to do some redudancy, and I was wondering if I should do a routing protocol like eigrp across the MPLS for the two, and have a static backup route pointing to the ASAs so that if the MPLS goes down, traffic could fail over to the ASAs and go across the vpn that was created. Anyone done anything like this? If so, how would I proceed to do something like this? Any help appreciated.

7 Replies 7

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have done exactly that. Pretty straight forward. I used EIGRP and then created a floating static route so if/when the MPLS route when down, traffic flowed over the VPN. If you have any specific questions, give a holler.

Thanks for responding. I was wondering if you could point to either some sample configs or maybe even your configs (minus anything security related)? Id appreciate it.

Also another question that I need to ask on this. I have the following setup: main site 6500 --> ISP MPLS router --> MPLS cloud --> ISP MPLS router remote --> 3560 switch --> 1841 remote router .

In this topology above, can I do EIGRP or some other routing protocol only between the two end points (the 6500 and the 1841 router), and not include the ISP eqiupment and layer 3 3560 switch?

Kind of. You will run EIGRP at the 6500 site, it will then get redistributed into MPLS routing protocl (usually BGP) and vise-versa. The remote 1841 site may only run BGP depending on how you route between your subnets at that location.

I'm afraid I don't have any configs. I did this for a client a few years ago that we no longer support. Here's a link that describes the floating static in an ASA.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa81/config/guide/ip.html

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Just wanted to update everyone on this. I ended up doing object tracking on this. It works very well and was successful. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card