cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS and File Sharing

david-lima
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Guys, I'm testing WAAS performance with sharing Word and pdf files, and it is working as I expected. But when I share an *.exe file or *.bin file the result is not the same. I can't see any improvement.

Please help me to understand that. Waas works nice with data files (word, power point, pdf, txt, etc) and not with *.bin or *.exe files?

Thanks a lot guys

David

3 Replies 3

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

David,

The WAAS is looking for patterns in the data which are alike and replacing these patterns with a symbol, which refers to a cached pattern. This means that if a pattern is seen more than once, it is already in the cache of both WAAS and then you can refer to it by this short symbol instead of a large bit of data.

In .exe and .bin files, as well as in encrypted files, such a pattern would be more or less impossible to find which means that there's not much the WAAS can do, then.

HTH.

dstolt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

David,

Are your .bin and .exe on the same servers/shares as your data files? If they are on a different server, is it possible that that server might have SMB Signing turned on? Try placing your .exe file in the same path as your .doc files and see if it improves. The CIFS object cache at the edge should serve the file locally just like any other file off the file server.

Dan

Hi guys, thanks for your posts. I was trying a file sharing between two pc's only for test, the exe files are in the same path as my doc files and it improves a bit. So I think that the transfer of exe files will not give the same results as doc files right?

Thanks a lot friends

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: