External/Ruggedized WAP options for UC500 or Guest Access/QoS with built in UC540 AP?

Answered Question
Oct 12th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Bronze, 100 points or more

Hey guys,

I have a client that will be purchasing a UC540W very shortly and needs wireless access (b/g) in an external area.  My inital plan was to run an external omni antenna from the built in AP in the UC540, but they have decided that they need to offer guest access in this location.  My understanding is that I need a WLC 526 to separate the guest WLAN from the corporate WLAN and the 526 won't work with the internal AP.  As the 521 APs don't have an external antenna port, I need to find a solution where I can VLAN the wireless network and provide different levels of QoS on phone, data, and guest VLANs.  Has anybody run into a similar situation and found a good solution?  Would it be better to:

1. Are there any Cisco/Linksys WAPs with support for external antennas that could be configured to work with the UC540W?

2. Are there any Cisco/Linksys WAPs that are ruggedized that could be mounted in an external location?

3. Would the WAP200E work for this application and is it supported by CCA?

4. Is there any way to configure the UC540 to create 3 VLANs (voice, data, guest) and apply different QoS profiles using the internal WAP?

5. Is there any way to configure the WLC to use the internal WAP on the UC540?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Seth

Correct Answer by William Childs about 7 years 7 months ago

Seth,

1. I was able to get this device into the lab and was able to confirm that you are able to change the VLAN tagging and QoS settings for each VLAN.

This device does NOT work with the WLC526. This AP is fully Autonomous and cannot be changed to Light Weight mode. Again, this device is in NO WAY designed to inter-operate with the WLC526 or any other controller for that matter.

2.As far as a guest VLAN is concerned this AP does not authenticate the user (other than via WEP or WPA) before allowing them onto the network. In order to get around that just make a private VLAN (most likely through CLI) on the UC500 and make this port a member of it. That way you can leave the encryption off and let them only access the internet via that VLAN. As for the "guest" wireless network this AP does not support anything such from the AP itself.

3.Answered in answer to question 1.

4.Kind of answered in question 1. If you have the AP521 then the WLC is very useful. For this model (WAP200E) it is just an extra item to hold your desk down.

As a side note, you can set the priority queue on the AP for the voice traffic that will be using the AP, and you can also rate limit the wireless speed for the clients as well.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Add more questions and I will try to provide more answers.

Bill

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
William Childs Tue, 10/13/2009 - 05:03
User Badges:

The Linksys WAPs are not designed to work with the UC540. By designed to work with, I am talking about configurable with CCA, run CDP, etc. They will however be good for your setup. The WAP200E is PoE, and supports an external antenna. The data sheet for the WAP200E can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10047/ps10050/data_sheet_c78-503126.html

You are definitely able to create multiple VLANs on the UC540(W) using CCA.

For questions 4 and 5 I will have to setup in the lab and get back to you.

Bill

sethschmautz Tue, 10/13/2009 - 08:34
User Badges:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply and the answers to the questions.

From reading through the data sheet on the WAP200E, I understand that I can configure multiple VLANs.  As you are setting up the config in the lab, here are a few other questions I came up with that could be answered at the same time:

1. Can I also assign multiple different QoS levels to each of the VLANs like you can through the WLC526?

2. Can I configure guest access (with or without a web authorization page) like you can using the WLC526?

3. Can the WLC526 control the WAP200E changing channel numbers and adjusting power as need be?

4. Is the WLC526 just an extra piece that doesn't provide any additional functionality in this scenario?

We will have both corporate users, voice users, and guests accessing the WLAN at the same time and we would like to

Thanks in advance,

Seth

Correct Answer
William Childs Thu, 10/15/2009 - 04:34
User Badges:

Seth,

1. I was able to get this device into the lab and was able to confirm that you are able to change the VLAN tagging and QoS settings for each VLAN.

This device does NOT work with the WLC526. This AP is fully Autonomous and cannot be changed to Light Weight mode. Again, this device is in NO WAY designed to inter-operate with the WLC526 or any other controller for that matter.

2.As far as a guest VLAN is concerned this AP does not authenticate the user (other than via WEP or WPA) before allowing them onto the network. In order to get around that just make a private VLAN (most likely through CLI) on the UC500 and make this port a member of it. That way you can leave the encryption off and let them only access the internet via that VLAN. As for the "guest" wireless network this AP does not support anything such from the AP itself.

3.Answered in answer to question 1.

4.Kind of answered in question 1. If you have the AP521 then the WLC is very useful. For this model (WAP200E) it is just an extra item to hold your desk down.

As a side note, you can set the priority queue on the AP for the voice traffic that will be using the AP, and you can also rate limit the wireless speed for the clients as well.

Hope this is what you were looking for. Add more questions and I will try to provide more answers.

Bill

sethschmautz Thu, 10/15/2009 - 14:18
User Badges:

Bill,

Thanks a ton for your time, that was exactly what I was wanting to know.

Seth

sethschmautz Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:47
User Badges:

Hi Bill,

Just wondering if you had a chance to try this in the lab or if you had any suggestions on where to go from here on the questions that are still unresolved.  Thanks,

Seth

Actions

This Discussion