Guest VLAN not assigning IPs, authenticating

Answered Question
Oct 12th, 2009

Hey guys,

I'm haivng problems with a UC520 system with a WLC526 and 2x AP521s.  The data and voice VLANs are working perfectly and the guest VLAN was (at one time) working properly also.  At this point, however, the UC520 is not assigning an IP address to any device on the Guest VLAN.

Guest VLAN UC520 IP: 10.0.97.1

DHCP server: 10.0.97.1

DNS: 4.2.2.2

I can ping the guest VLAN IP from the data VLAN 10.0.96.x.  When I set a static IP on a guest device and try to ping the guest VLAN IP or Guest DNS, the requests time out.

WLC has been set for no security, no web auth.  Currently, I turned web auth back on and created a user account for testing purposes.  Any recommendations or things I could check?

FWIW, we have a TAC case that is open, but the TAC tech doesn't know the UC520 - only WAPs and WLCs.  He's convinced that it isn't a wireless issue, but rather is a problem with the UC500 not acting as a DHCP server on that VLAN.  Everything looks great in CCA, but something is getting missed somewhere.

Thanks,

Seth

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Steven Smith about 7 years 1 month ago

What port is the WLC plugged into?  Did you use the smart ports wizard to configure the ports?  What ports are the AP's plugged into?

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
William Childs Tue, 10/13/2009 - 03:02

Seth,

Please post a copy of your config (delete passwords and public ip addresses) to this page in a .txt file. This should provide a good place to start in determining your issue.

Bill

sethschmautz Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:26

Bill,

Any idea on what the problem might be or who to contact?  We have an open TAC case, but the tech doesn't seem to know where to go from here...

Thanks,

Seth

Correct Answer
Steven Smith Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:56

What port is the WLC plugged into?  Did you use the smart ports wizard to configure the ports?  What ports are the AP's plugged into?

sethschmautz Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:42

Hi Steven,

You basically hit the nail on the head.  The smartport that the WLC was connected to was somehow set for IP phone rather than AP.  The change in smartport roles solved the problem.  Our guest network is functioning once again.  Thanks for your help.

Seth

Actions

This Discussion