Views
Helpful
Replies

MTU Configuration

rc.castillo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just want to ask what is the effect of configuring a higher MTU size besides higher throughput. Do i Have to configuring all my switches to have the same mtu sizes or those only that uses it?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Just want to ask what is the effect of configuring a higher MTU size besides higher throughput."

Often less work on the forwarding engine, since much of the work is per frame/packet.

"Do i Have to configuring all my switches to have the same mtu sizes or those only that uses it?"

As long as other switches won't see the larger MTU frames, don't believe you need to configure them too.

Hi Joseph,

the path that the packet will traverse will be the one that i'll be configuring is that what you mean? And also will it affect the machines that do not support jumbo frames?

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

When you increase the MTU make sure you do to the devices interconnected, in your case I presume switches.

If one device has a smaller MTU than the other, it will cause fragmentation.

For reminder, MTU: Is the maximum packet size, in bytes, that can be transmitted across a link. The MTU determines the size of your packets, so if it is too small, your computer will be responding often. If it is too big, errors will cause each packet to be resent or there will be fragmentation.

Hi Sir,

for example i configured a port on a 6500 to haave an mtu of 9000. All the switches that will be cascaded via this port should also be configured with that mtu, and all of the computer/servers connected via this switches should also have an mtu of 9000? am i correct?

Yes that is correct.

But why do you want an mtu of 9000? What are you really trying to achieve?

hi Sir,

I'm trying to have a higher throughput on my servers. Is it advisable?

Thanks.

Not sure. Is the communication only between the servers, or goes to clients over for example a WAN link?

hi sir,

Its for local area clients, server to server communications and over the WAN clients. Is it possible?

Darian O'Dirling - TCE
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @rc.castillo ,

I see you are interested in MTU configuration. I encourage anyone who is running into this issue or wants to learn more about MTU configuration to watch this video made by a colleague mind. The video outlines the need for proper MTU in the network and explains how to remedy MTU related interface errors, via interface MTU configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBeB6h9MKk

This video provides steps for configuring MTU on a Nexus 9000 switch. The video outlines the need for proper MTU in the network and explains how to remedy MTU related interface errors, via interface MTU configuration.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card