Views
Helpful
Replies

Email problem from CiscoWorks machine

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have configured the SMTP server in Cisco Common Services under Server -> Admin.

For e.g.

the SMTP Server is: mail.abc.com

Administrator Email Id: test@abc.com

However, when I run a RME sync archive job with my email id (test@abc.com) it fails. I ran a wireshark and noticed that the Cisco Works machine generates a HELO command to the host name of its own machine (lets says machine name 'CiscoWorks') to which

I get an 'RST'(Reset) packet. Access to the outside mail server is open on port 25.

Is this right ? Shouldn't it send a HELO abc.com instead.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I don't know of any for Windows. But your understanding is correct. The local SMTP gateway would relay messages from CiscoWorks and other applications to the official gateway. The local gateway would speak authenticated SMTP to the official gateway.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

tech_trac
Level 1
Level 1

We connect to the Linux based Exim Mail Server. And I believe Exim is configured to accept 'HELO MAILSERVER.com' i.e. the domain

name of the mail server. Whereas, the CiscoWorks sends email notifications with 'HELO localhost' i.e. Cisco works machine name

and it gets rejected.

Is it possible to change the parameter Cisco Works use to send HELO command to.

Is there a password that can be set for SMTP Server account login via Cisco Works. If so, then HELO to localhost may work.

Below is the SMTP log from Cisco Works. Even though I had configured mail.abc.com as the SMTP server in Common Services yet the Cisco Works sends a HELO request to localhost (can be seen in wireshark). The error in Wireshark shows "550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)". Please assist.

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:08 GST 2009 ] INFO [Util : sendMail] : sendMail() - Starts

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:08 GST 2009 ] INFO [Util : sendMail] : SMTP Server:mail.abc.com

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:08 GST 2009 ] INFO [Util : sendMail] : From ID:test@abc.com

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:08 GST 2009 ] INFO [Util : sendMail] : To ID:test@abc.com

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:08 GST 2009 ] INFO [Util : sendMail] : Subject:JobId: 1709,Job Status: Job Succeeded,Application: ArchiveMgmt, Run Type: Immediate

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:09 GST 2009 ] ERROR [Util : sendMail] : Unknown error in connecting to the SMTP server [mail.abc.com]

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:09 GST 2009 ] ERROR [Util : sendMail] : Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

[ Tue Oct 13 15:36:09 GST 2009 ] ERROR [Util : sendMail] :

No, SMTP passwords are not supported by LMS. The 550 error means your SMTP server is rejecting the IP of the LMS server. Talk to your SMTP admins, and make sure mail.abc.com is allowed to relay mail for the LMS server.

Hello,

I believe relaying is allowed. Because I ran manual SMTP commands on the Cisco Works machine with

HELO mail.abc.com

and its works fine. The problem is only with 'HELO localhost' which is what Cisco Works machine generates for email notification.

Please advise.

The proper protocol is for the mail client to send:

HELO

So, if the client is sending:

HELO localhost

Then there is a problem with the Java API obtaining the client's local hostname. Make sure the client's IP address properly resolves to the client's correct hostname.

Hello,

It is infact the client hostname. I had stated localhost for understanding.

I think the Exim mail server does not allow relaying unless the machine/IP has authenticated itself with the mail server against the 'From' email account. So due to lack of password for SMTP in Common Services, it does not get authenticated and hence is rejected by the mail server.

What could be the solution. For a third party email service provider it is difficult to change their security options for one of the customers i.e. to relax the authentication bit to relay emails.

Shouldn't Cisco Products include SMTP password option for better security. Because, if authentication were not required, then any spammer could use this service to relay junk emails with all freedom. I am now facing same problem with ASA CSC-SSM email notification feature due to the given reason.

Thanks.

If you cannot have the SMTP server blindly allow relaying for the CiscoWorks host, you could create your own SMTP gateway, and configure it to use the main SMTP server with proper authentication. That is, install your own SMTP server which anonymously relays for the LMS server, then sends all mail to mail.abc.com using the SMTP authentication system required there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It is probably outside the Cisco domain, but could you please suggest any easy to install/configure SMTP gateway.

I haven't tried any before.

I use sendmail on FreeBSD. I wouldn't say it's easy, though. I have quite a few friends that say Postfix is the way to go, but I'm happy with sendmail.

Would you know any on Windows (it is inherently easy).

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.

Using the SMTP gateway would mean its configuration would hold the email user account and password information and hence it do the authentication for every mail sent through it.

I don't know of any for Windows. But your understanding is correct. The local SMTP gateway would relay messages from CiscoWorks and other applications to the official gateway. The local gateway would speak authenticated SMTP to the official gateway.

Hello,

Does the SMTP gateway need to be published on the internet and registered in the global DNS (Host A/MX record) to send out the email.

Thanks.

No. The gateway should only forward email to mail.abc.com. For instance, in our lab, I have a machine setup to relay email from our lab devices up to our corporate MX. There is no way this server is reachable from the internet, and does not participate in any other mail exchanges.

I installed an SMTP gateway and the emails are now going out. However, the From field is empty when the mail is recieved. Does the CiscoWorks SMTP client populate the 'From Header' in email with administrator email Id or is it blank. In wireshark, I can see that 'MAIL FROM" is populated with correct 'From' i.e. the administrator id. I believe

there are two from fields i.e. the SMTP envelope From and the email From header. Which one does the CiscoWorks SMTP client

set.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: