Views
Helpful
Replies

Advise needed for replacing AS5300

smart5
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

my environment has the intention to replace the EOL AS5300 gateway. As the number of users are very small, i'm looking @ using 2811 router instead of AS5335 or AS5400 gateway.

Existing users are dial into my AS5300 to get an IP address to access into LAN for email checking, authentication is done through radius (chap).

Some advise needed on what are the required modules to purchase for 2811 in order to support this similar function. Currently, i have 2 x ISDN30 (E1) lines connected to the AS5300 for this function.

For 2811, i have heard variations on modules to be purchase. They are:

1) PVDM2-36DM and HWIC-1CE1T1-PRI

2) NM-2CE1T1-PRI

so which 1 should i purchase

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all, if you want two E1 lines, you need 2x PVDM2-36DM, and HWIC-2CE1T1-PRI.

This is a newer module than the NM, so is preferred.

May i know the differences between using the PVDN+HWIC and using the NM card?

If there is no significant differences, i may stick with old technology.

Thanks

The NM alone is not sufficient, you need PVDM2-xxDM in any case.

As is explained in the PVDM2-xxDM data sheet.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2641/product_data_sheet0900aecd8050918e_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. So am i right to say AS5300 gateway already have the voice modules in place therefore isn't a need to purchase for them, whereas 2811, we will need the PVDM modules.

Since PVDM is a must, the next question will be, is it going to be a NM card or HWIC card? On what basis should i use for my selection?

Thanks

That is up to you to choose based on budget or other criteria, technically both do work.

You should review your use of the rating system, the information I'm giving to you is 100% complete and correct.

Thanks for the link, now i understand better.

last question. as my environment uses 2 x e1 which is equal to 60 channels in total.

can the 2811 router install with 36 & 24 PVDM to acheive the 60 channels requirement? or i can only install 2 symmetrical, identical module? (ie 2x 36 or 2 x 24 )

Yes, that is doable. I simply not have considered that when answering before.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: