cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dot11 Sub-Interfaces and Gigabit Sub Interfaces.

nelson.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to configure this 1252 AP (Autonomous), and I have a question in regards to Dot 11 Radio sub interfaces and Fast Ethernet sub interfaces.

I was looking through the Cisco Configuration Guide for the AP1252 and saw this:

interface dot11radio 0

ssid NAME

vlan 01

end

conf t

interface fa0.1

encapsulation dot1q 2

bridge-group 2

interface dot11radio0.2

encapsulation dot1q 2

bridge-group 2

My question is, is the number "2" after the encapsulation commands under the sub interfaces what binds them to vlan 02? Is this right? Sort of how the bridge-group 2 binds them to bridge-group 2?

What is the purpose of the sub interfaces?

Is it correct to assume that if I want to bridge wireless clients to my wired network I would have to have a configuration like this:

SSID maps to VLAN 10

Radio and Ethernet Subinterfaces map to VLAN 10 also and get bridged under bridge-group 10. Therefore, any client associated to VLAN 10 would be a part of bridge-group that bridges the gigabit and radio sub-interfaces?

Sorry if I'm answering my own questions. I just want to understand this completely.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"encapsulation dot1q 2" means dot1q encapsulation enabled on VLAN 2.

"encapsulation dot1q 111" means dot1q encapsulation enabled on VLAN 111

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"encapsulation dot1q 2" means dot1q encapsulation enabled on VLAN 2.

"encapsulation dot1q 111" means dot1q encapsulation enabled on VLAN 111

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: