Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN 5 sites with NO static address

t-alkhalidi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

is it doable to connect 5 sites through dynamicVPN over ADSL with no public address. the customer could not handle the cost of the Public address even for one .. becuase ISP not accepting to give me static address on ADSL.. so no way to have public address at any site..

so now the challenge is it doable and any body did it before... 5 sites .. internet connection is ADSL.. dynamic IP.. any idea? appreciate it.

8 Replies 8

t-alkhalidi
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to add the im subscribed to DYNDNS.. so could i use name instead of IP ? or the things harder than that.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tariq

Short answer is no. If you do not have a public address at each site then you cannot route to each site across the Internet.

Private addressing is not routable on the Internet.

But if the ADSL connection is to the Internet at each site surely the customer must have one public IP at each site ?

Jon

Hi Jon,

thank u for your replay.. well, the issue is that the ISP is not providing public address on the ADSL internet connection !! there is no other ISP in that area so they told us that if you want static address then you need to upgrade to leased line which we cannot afford .. its so expensive.

2nd thing, i dont want to use private addressing.. i want to use domain name or host name instead of the public address offered by dyndns service..

we are getting solutions from sonicwall which confirm that no need to have static public address .. personally i do prefer to use Cisco for its reputation , but how come sonic wall or juniper have solution for this while CISCO NOT!!

please correct me guys if im wrong

Tariq

Think we might be misunderstanding each other.

Cisco will deal with dynamic IP address but your question refers to a public IP address.

Did you mean a static public IP ? If so, no you don't need a static public IP but you do need a public IP.

Apologies if there was any misunderstanding on my part.

Jon

sorry Jon , yeah u are right.. so it could work with dynamic public address.. now, whats is the recommended harware/software for each site should i use ? is it through dynamic VPN or easy VPN..

guys,

whats the recommended configuration and hardware... Cisco should have solution for this.

please any idea??!!!

Patrick0711
Level 3
Level 3

The VPN device that will be functioning as the responder MUST have a static public IP address.

All the initiating devices can have dynamic public IPs.

As far as I know, there's no way for any Cisco VPN device to initiate a VPN to a public DNS hostname instead of an IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card