Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring the SNMP Community string in Cat 6509 switch

m.naresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 Core switches in Active and Passive mode,apart from that I have edge switches and wan routers....in all the cisco devices I want to configure the SNMP community string....

please guide me ...

Thanks and Regards,

Lavanholy

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Lavanholy,

first of all you can have two community strings one for read only (SNMP GET)

another one for read/write (SNMP SET) that can change device configuration.

You can also use an ACL to specify the IP subnets where are the management servers that are allowed to send SNMP GETs and SNMP sets.

example

snmp-server community boskic RO 24

snmp-server community alien RW 24

access-list 24 permit 10.10.100.0 0.0.0.255

there are then other commands to send snmp traps to devices like

snmp-server host 10.10.100.22 boskic

snmp-server host 10.10.100.23 boskic

actually what traps to send is platform specific, sending all possible traps is not recommended

Example

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps tty

snmp-server enable traps config

snmp-server enable traps entity

much more can be done, using SNMP views or moving to SNMPv3

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for the support,Can you send me a link from which I can download the pdf for my future use?

And is it necessary to configure teh SNMP at the interface level or ot required?

Best Regards,

S.Venkataraman.

Hello Venkataraman,

a link to SNMP support in 12.4 net management config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/nm_cfg_snmp_sup_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1221929

you can download the pdf of the chapter or the whole book going to the top right corner.

SNMP is a management protocol and doesn't require explicit configuration at interface level.

However, you can for example decide to send an SNMP trap for the link state change of specific ports so there are optional commmands for that.

By the way, do you work with the original poster?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

Once again thanks a lot.....I am not getting what you are asking " Oiginal Poster " means what?

Basially I want to install the NMS software to manage my network like remote configuration and inventory of my network....For that only I am going to install the SNMP ....

O.k

Thanks a lot

Best Regards,

Hello Venkataraman,

original poster = person that created the thread also known as OP.

this is part of the forum's language

I've seen two different users, but it is allowed to go on on an existing thread don't worry about this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card