Views
Helpful
Replies

Safe way to reboot Active/Standby Pair

Pete89
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I have the need to reboot my ASA5520. We have a Active/Standby pair and I want to make sure that they come up playing nicely and not in a tug of war.

Any advice on the proper way to reload these machines and optimize uptime??

Thanks,

Pedro

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pedro

If you are not bothered as to which one becomes primary then simply pick one, reload, wait until it has come up and then reload the other one.

As long as you have failover correctly configured there should be minimal downtime, just the time it takes to fail over when you reload.

If you want the primary to stay as the primary then you need to reload this one first, let it come up as standby, then reload the other one and the former primary will now become the primary again.

Note that reloading the standby first is the best approach simply because you only then have one failover ie. when the standby comes backup and resumes it's standby funtionality and then you reload the primary there will be a failover.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pedro

If you are not bothered as to which one becomes primary then simply pick one, reload, wait until it has come up and then reload the other one.

As long as you have failover correctly configured there should be minimal downtime, just the time it takes to fail over when you reload.

If you want the primary to stay as the primary then you need to reload this one first, let it come up as standby, then reload the other one and the former primary will now become the primary again.

Note that reloading the standby first is the best approach simply because you only then have one failover ie. when the standby comes backup and resumes it's standby funtionality and then you reload the primary there will be a failover.

Jon

I'd like for the current primary to stay the primary in my case so I will follow your advice and first reload the primary, let it come back up as standby, then reload the other and have the primary become primary again.

In my case its more about fear than anything. I just started this job and I did not do the failover configuration, so I dont know if the failover has ever been tested. On paper it looks good but you never know.

By the way how long does it take for a 5520 to reload?

Pedro

"By the way how long does it take for a 5520 to reload?"

Not sure to be honest but an equivalent device such as a pix 525 used to take approx 1 minute to come back online.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: