cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Limitation on SSID naming?

nelson.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

From global config. mode, when I create an ssid called "nuaWirelessN", it doesn't take me into the ssid sub interface. When I type in "nuaWireless" it does take me into the ssid sub interface config. Anyone know why that "N" messes things up?

Also, if I may add. When I do:

(config) ssid nuaWireless

(if-config-ssid) ?

It doesn't list any commands, but it allows me to type in commands such as "vlan" or "guest-mode".

It doesn't list all the ssid interface commands as if I were to just create the SSID from config mode by typing:

(config) dot11 ssid nuaWireless

I do notice that when I do this, the prompt changes to

(config-ssid) as opposed to (if-config-ssid)

What's the difference?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The configuration for creating an SSID should be:

dot11 ssid nuaWirelessN

'ssid nuaWirelessN' would be the command for placing the SSID onto the radio interface. Maybe you're just missing the 'dot11'?

View solution in original post

I have no idea. Maybe it's a glitch with your IOS, because my AP does nothing when I just type "ssid" into the global command line. Either that or it's a new command that has no features yet, or something?

Strange issue, haha. That sure didn't help you figure things out.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dancampb
Level 7
Level 7

What version of code are you running and what model of AP? I tested it on one of my AP's and nuaWirelessN worked fine.

Using AP 1252 with IOS 12.4

The configuration for creating an SSID should be:

dot11 ssid nuaWirelessN

'ssid nuaWirelessN' would be the command for placing the SSID onto the radio interface. Maybe you're just missing the 'dot11'?

Jeff. You were right.

From global config. I create the SSID like this:

(config) dot11 ssid nuaWirelessN

then I apply it to my radio interface like this.

(config-if) ssid nuaWirelessN

Why is it though that when I apply an SSID that doesn't exist to the radio, it takes me to the SSID sub interface where there's only one command listed which is "dot1x" what's that all about?

(config-if) ssid nonexistent

(config-if-ssid) ?

dot1x SSID Config Commands for IEEE 802.1X

I can also apply commands to it even though I can't see the commands, like bridge-group and guest-mode.

I have no idea. Maybe it's a glitch with your IOS, because my AP does nothing when I just type "ssid" into the global command line. Either that or it's a new command that has no features yet, or something?

Strange issue, haha. That sure didn't help you figure things out.

It's not when I type ssid into the global command line.

It's when I type ssid under the dot0 interface.

Specifically when I assign an ssid that I didn't make under global config i.e dot11 ssid NAME.

it brings me to the ssid sub interface, and there's only 1 command in there.

Oh wow, you're right. I've never seen this before.

Well, I can say for sure that this isn't how you're supposed to configure SSIDs :) I'm really not sure what its purpose is... I guess to configure SSIDs on the fly, but I'm not sure why the command list is empty.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card