Views
Helpful
Replies

IPM - prerrequisites for creating collectors

cmartinvalle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm working with devices configured with a SNMP read-only community (but no SNMP read-write one).

In our LMS 3.2, following credentails are set:

- SNMP read-only community.

- Primary credentials (user/password and enable password).

I've been reading that is not possible to create collectors in source devices if no SNMP RW community is configured in the devices? Is this true or is ot possible to create using the enable password?

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You must configure IP SLA responders yourself, yes. This can be done using RME Netconfig, but IPM will not do this for you. The responders are only required for UDP jitter operations, though. Operations such as HTTP, Echo, TCP connect, etc. do not require a responder (any generic target will work).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is true. IPM requires SNMP read-write credentials (either community string of SNMPv3 user with write access). IPM will not use telnet/SSH to configure collectors. It only uses SNMP.

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That's true. SNMP write string is needed by IPM to configure the collectors. That's how CSCsd36155/CSCin62031 manages to let IPM crash some versions of IOS.

OK, thank you very very much. And is it neccesary anything else? I.e., manually enable ip sla responders, etc...

I suppose IPM will do it when creating a collector but after this item about SNMP RW community, I'm not totally sure...

You must configure IP SLA responders yourself, yes. This can be done using RME Netconfig, but IPM will not do this for you. The responders are only required for UDP jitter operations, though. Operations such as HTTP, Echo, TCP connect, etc. do not require a responder (any generic target will work).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: