Recommendations required on using UC-500

Unanswered Question
Oct 14th, 2009

Dear All,

I am new to Cisco UC-500 and never have configured the device previously. I have a situation where I am stuck with a smart building IT technician who is providing us with 1 MB internet link and ISDN service through a 4-core fiber optic cable. The IT technician is suggesting me to have the following setup:

•Building data center has Cisco Catalyst 6500 that links to vertical fiber using SFP connectors.

•He is suggesting a switch which should be equipped with SFP ports where the fiber uplink will be terminated using the SFP connectors.

•For internet he is suggesting to use Cisco 871 router and as he said, no other router can work in the building.

•For telephony services he is suggesting to purchase a PBX system from himself, which is an additional cost above to the services.

I want to know instead of going with the plan provided by the building technician, can I use UC-500 and have all the data and voice connectivity. It can work as the router as well as a switch. Only thing I want know is how I will terminate the fiber into UTP from the fiber patch panel to UC-500, as it does not contain fiber uplink ports. I mean can I use GBIC connectors. For telephony services, I believe I can use SIP trunk.

Please help me if my idea of using UC-500 is doable for providing voice and data connectivity.

Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:41

Hi, first and most urgent, get yourself a reputable networking consultant, what you are begin told is confusing and contradictory, for example do you realize that a catalyst 6500 bases system can easily cost $50,000 ?

And that an 871 is just a very small etherner access router?

So, to make a proper design one would need to see the complete building plan, and more data also. In networking, things are not designed so easily.

shaikhu123 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 12:57

This is what I have been told by the technician inside the building. I have not seen the setup physically. Within my budget, I want to use something, which can safe me the cost. The building technician is causing me problems that the setup in the tower wont allow me have UC-500.

Thank you,

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:06

If you have vertical fiber, you will always need a fiber switch (core) and a distribution layer, possibly with PoE switches. There are many models to choose from.

The technical is correct in saying that the UC-500 alone does not do that.

Do yourself a favor and hire a reputable consultant, or you risk being taken for a ride.

shaikhu123 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:15

Thanks once again for your kind reply. Can u recommend me a low-end switch with fiber uplink to terminate the fiber on it? I will try to find a consultant as it is again additional cost.

Kind Regards.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:29

2960-24PC-S with fiber SFP for example.

You cannot do without a professional, even if it is additional cost.

shaikhu123 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:42

Yes, you are right that I need a professional to perform the whole job, as I also have to plan for the data security because of my traffic passing through the building switches. The building technicians are pushing me into the corner and not allowing anything to add without their permissions. Posting here was to get a general idea how things will work before getting anything in hand.

Thanks anyway and I really appreciate your help.

Paolo Bevilacqua Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:47

No problem. As you know, ultimately it's the owner and people that he/she mandate that decides.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.


This Discussion