Views
Helpful
Replies

7960G stuck at TFTP error

CaptainWes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I had a tech try to flash this phone to SIP 8.11 from SCCP and they must have done something wrong, because the phone goes from configuring VLAN to TFTP error (0A in little letters next to it) and hangs. The tech said they did a restore default settings with wipe network info prior to it being in this state. Is there a relatively easy way to unbrick it to where the firmware could be reflashed? The phone does not allow any interaction with the menus. This may need to be treated as a failed firmware upgrade. Solutions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Wes

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all, you will find that SCCP is more feature-rich and stable than SIP.

In any case, if you CM system is corrdctly configured, the phone should recover itself just with the factory reset sequence, that I suppose you know already.

The customer is using an Allworx 10x system. CM is not in use at this site. Are there any other alternatives for recovery? I tried initiating a factory reset via the handset, but I get the loader screen, configuring VLAN, configuring IP, no load specified, and then the hang on TFTP error.

There must be a FTFP server somewhere, on it you need the firmware files, including OS79XX.TXT and few more. Phone will request these files and upgrade.

All failing, you can always recover the phone with a PC using tftpd32.

Unrelated, when you have am opportunity, try CME on a cisco routers, chances are your customer ill like it better than the current solution.

Thanks for the good advice. I have tftp, what is the best way to do recovery via PC and tftpd?

Thanks again

Get PC and phone on an isolated network with tfptd32.exe, enable dhcp and tftp, add option 150 in the dhcp panel with PC's address. Depending by the tftpd32 version, you may need to enter this as "a x.x.x.x".

Do the factory reset sequence, phone will load the files.

When you use a router/CME all this is automatic, you never have to do manual recovery - I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just observe people struggling with third party solutions all the time.

Please remember to rate useful posts with the scrollbox below.

Thank you for your help! This advice solved my problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: