SWVMS16 remote access

Answered Question
Oct 14th, 2009
User Badges:

Hi guys,

I wonder if there is any way to access remotely a PC running the software, besides RDP of course. I have a client that wants a small deployment of such a solution and he is interested in recording locally and also be able to remote access the streams. I want to know if the software supports a web interface or maybe a thin client. Is something like this possible with the current version? I know that I can access the cameras individually by port forwarding but this isn't what the client needs.

Thanks a lot,

Alex.

Correct Answer by Eric Moyers about 7 years 7 months ago

Yes they are the only small business camera that is not compatible is the WVC200. All Consumer grade cameras are not compatible either

Within the camera setup two users and passwords.(For example call one Admin (or whatever the SWVMS16 software in the office is using to access the camera)

and one called Home). The camera software will support multiple users. (What cameras are in play here?)

OK, first I should not have termed this a workaround. However if the SWVMS16 software is installed say at the office with 4 camera's and the client is wanting to log in and check the cameras from home. As stated there is not a way to remote into the software and view the cameras. That being said, there is nothing preventing the client from installing the monitoring software at home also and tapping into the remote IP and port of the camera. I would not try and record at both locations, just have the office server do the recording and just check in occasionally from the house. Please let me know how this works out for you.

Overall Rating: 5 (3 ratings)
Eric Moyers Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:50
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

This is a common question that I have seen several times. The short answer is you can not access the Cisco Video Monitoring System from a remote PC. But let me have a few minutes, I may have a workaround for you other than RDP.

Eric

Alexandru Zamfir Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:53
User Badges:

Thanks Eric. Do you have any idea if a web interface or a thin client is on the roadmap? :) It would be really nice to have such a feature.

honslp2009 Tue, 06/15/2010 - 12:27
User Badges:

Hi, I'm having a issue accessing remotely to 5 cameras through Internet.

I enable different port to each camera (1024, 1025 and so on), i'm using static LAN IP for those cameras (even try using DHCP). I enable DDNS with my current domain, user and password.

For my WAN service have a 2wire DSL Router with a dynamic IP.

I already update the firmware on the cameras thinking that could be an issue.

My problem is when i try to access using my "domaintocameras.xxx" does not giving any response. I try accessing disabling the port and using only the domain or enabling the port using "domaintocameras.xxx:1024".

On the router I enable the DMZ option for the camera MAC address, when I do that I can have access but using my current WAN IP.

First I thought that could be a 2wire or ISP problem but then enable the DMZ on the 2wire for a Linksys Switch (srw2024P) which does not support by itself the DDNS option and have access remotely to my switch using my domain registered on dyndns.

Basically all of my tests were connecting directly to my 2wire one of the cameras and making test and configuration.

I check on the dyndns website which WAN IP is giving me and it match to my current WAN.

Even if a make a ping test to my current domain I get access to my current WAN IP.

On the camera configuration parameters I enable the static IP address.

For the switch enable the IP and as a gateway the router IP. The DNS I configure the DNS that my ISP have.

For the cameras enable the IP's, as a gateway the router IP (due it is directly connected to the router) but the DNS configured the router LAN IP.

Please help!

Correct Answer
Eric Moyers Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:04
User Badges:

OK, first I should not have termed this a workaround. However if the SWVMS16 software is installed say at the office with 4 camera's and the client is wanting to log in and check the cameras from home. As stated there is not a way to remote into the software and view the cameras. That being said, there is nothing preventing the client from installing the monitoring software at home also and tapping into the remote IP and port of the camera. I would not try and record at both locations, just have the office server do the recording and just check in occasionally from the house. Please let me know how this works out for you.

Eric Moyers Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:05
User Badges:

Not that I am aware of. But yes I agree, alot of people have asked about this exact topic.

Alexandru Zamfir Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:09
User Badges:

Thanks a lot Eric. Will try to install the software on two VMs in our lab and will post the results here. Hope that will work fine. With this setup the cameras at least for a short period of time (while the client is watching from home) will need to dual stream. Am I correct? Is this feature supported by the cameras?

Alex.

Correct Answer
Eric Moyers Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:38
User Badges:

Within the camera setup two users and passwords.(For example call one Admin (or whatever the SWVMS16 software in the office is using to access the camera)

and one called Home). The camera software will support multiple users. (What cameras are in play here?)

Alexandru Zamfir Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:45
User Badges:

Thanks again for a quick reply Eric. The cameras are PVC300 and PVC2300. Are they suitable for this deployment?

Correct Answer
Eric Moyers Wed, 10/14/2009 - 14:51
User Badges:

Yes they are the only small business camera that is not compatible is the WVC200. All Consumer grade cameras are not compatible either