Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Desktop to 2970 to 3560G, only getting 100megabits

My desktop (gig card) is connnected to a 2970 which is fibered to a 3560G. I only get about 10% of a gig connection. I tested a couple of Dell 2850s within the 3560G switch (single connections right now) itself and I get 30% of a gig. Is this normal and where can I troubleshoot if not? I used Racoon's speed test as well as transferring a single 500 MB file between the Dell 2850s.

thanks

Gary

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Have you configured full duplex on the switchports on the 3560G when you are testing 2 servers connected on that switch?

I haven't been into it yet so however it comes from the factory is how it is configured. I took it out of the box and slapped it in because the other switch died. Do I have to connect a console cable to it etc. or can it get into it with a web browser etc. from one of the servers hooked into it?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you tried connecting your desktop to the 3560?

Dell 2850, correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't this a server? Servers are built to push/pull data as fast as they can go. I don't know what hard drives the 2850 but compared to a desktop, it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, the 2850 is a server but the 2 of them transfer data between them within the 3560 at 30 per cent of a gig speed.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are many variable involved when testing network device throughput using hosts, which makes it difficult to say whether your 10 and 30% of gig rate obtained is normal (although does seem slow). What you might try is doing the same test between the two Dell 2850s hosts, back-to-back, without any network devices. This then would baseline the performance of the hosts. If that performance is different from running via the switches, then we could delve into issues why that might be.

Did you check the switchport on the switch to see what the port negotiated ? Just because the server has a gig card does not mean it didn't negotiate 100 meg for some reason. You need 4 good pairs all the way thru the datapath between the server and the switch in order to run gig speed , one bad pair and it's only going to run 100 meg. Get on the 2960 and look at the port that the server is attached to and do a "show int status" and see what the port negotiated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card