BGP with RR and Full Mesh

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I have gone thru the below command while reading

"no bgp client-to-client reflection"

It is mentioned that this command will be configured in the RR for disabling

the client to client route advertisement, if clients are fully meshed.

My question is "If the clients are fully meshed then what is the need of

Route reflector?"

Can you please take your few minutes and help me ?

regards,

sairam

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sairam,

>> My question is "If the clients are fully meshed then what is the need of

Route reflector?"

the RRS can still be useful to reflect routes coming from non-clients = other RRS clusters for example.

This is a way to save iBGP sessions those between clients and all non-clients.

the option is available to avoid to send BGP advertisements that would be considered worst then direct advertisement (for the cluster-list and cluster-id that are missing on direct client to client advertisement).

To be honest in networks I've worked on this option is not used.

Another possible option is to have multiple levels of route reflection this can be used for scalability.

The challenge in service provider networks is given by the number of routes to be handled.

For example, in a service provider network it is possible to deploy a group of RRS for address-family ipv4 unicast (global routing table) and a different set of RRS for vpnv4 routes.

It is even possible that vpnv4 routes space is divided into two or more parts that are managed by different meshs of RRS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sairam,

>> My question is "If the clients are fully meshed then what is the need of

Route reflector?"

the RRS can still be useful to reflect routes coming from non-clients = other RRS clusters for example.

This is a way to save iBGP sessions those between clients and all non-clients.

the option is available to avoid to send BGP advertisements that would be considered worst then direct advertisement (for the cluster-list and cluster-id that are missing on direct client to client advertisement).

To be honest in networks I've worked on this option is not used.

Another possible option is to have multiple levels of route reflection this can be used for scalability.

The challenge in service provider networks is given by the number of routes to be handled.

For example, in a service provider network it is possible to deploy a group of RRS for address-family ipv4 unicast (global routing table) and a different set of RRS for vpnv4 routes.

It is even possible that vpnv4 routes space is divided into two or more parts that are managed by different meshs of RRS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card