Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about type of CE devices

agata.czekalska
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody!

I have a such question: can CE device be a Layer 2 switch?

I want to configure Ethernet over MPLS in Vlan Mode.

Cisco says:

To configure the CE routers for Ethernet over MPLS, make sure the interfaces/subinterfaces on the CE

routers connected to the PE routers share the same VLAN ID and are in the same subnet.

Router(config-if)# interface GigabitEthernet x/x.x

Router(config-subif)# encapsulation dot1Q vlan-id

Router(config-subif)# ip address ip-address

So if it is the only way to configure EoMPLS in Vlan mode I can do this on Catalyst 2950 for instance.

Thank you for help.

Best regards,

Agata Czekalska

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

If you only want to extend a broadcast domain for a vlan between your sites using Layer 2 VPN (L2TPv3 pseudowire) then yes. from the cat 2950 you need to setup a trunk interface towards the PE and then on the PE, setup xconnect on the interface towards CE (2950) to create layer 2 vpn using L2TPv3 or mpls encapsulation.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

If you only want to extend a broadcast domain for a vlan between your sites using Layer 2 VPN (L2TPv3 pseudowire) then yes. from the cat 2950 you need to setup a trunk interface towards the PE and then on the PE, setup xconnect on the interface towards CE (2950) to create layer 2 vpn using L2TPv3 or mpls encapsulation.

Thanks, everything works now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: