cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Administrative Groups- for MPLS TE

AdminGenEng
Level 1
Level 1

Do the Cisco 7600's have an equivalent to Juniper (and Riverstone's) Administrative-Groups feature? I would like to do MPLS-Traffic Engineering based on the Administrative groups? I have tried searching this feature, but haven't found anything. There might be a different name for this feature which I might not be aware of. I would appreciate if somebody could help me with this.

5 Replies 5

AdminGenEng
Level 1
Level 1

With this feature, one can actually define the path of a Tunnel or LSP using colors or the group names.

Can somebody help me please.

Hi

Suppose you meen some use of Affinty bits?

Jon

Thanks Jon.

I am not sure if Affinity bits is the same feature as administrative groups(color)

Below is the description of Administrative groups that Juniper implements:

-----------------------------

Administrative groups, also known as link coloring or resource class, are manually assigned attributes that describe the "color" of links, such that links with the same color conceptually belong to the same class. You can use administrative groups to implement a variety of policy-based LSP setups.

Administrative groups are meaningful only when constrained-path LSP computation

is enabled.

Administrative groups require three levels of configuration. First, configure a table of group names at the [edit protocols mpls] hierarchy level:

[edit protocols mpls]

admin-groups {

group-name group-value ;

}

You can assign up to 32 names and values (in the range 0 through 31), which define a series of names and their corresponding values. The administrative names and values must be identical across all routers within a single domain.

To configure administrative groups, follow these steps:

Define multiple levels of service quality:

[edit]

protocols {

mpls {

admin-groups {

best-effort 1;

copper 2;

silver 3;

gold 4;

violet 5;

}

}

}

Define administrative groups for an interface. These groups identify the administrative groups to which an interface belongs. You can assign multiple groups to an interface.

[edit]

protocols {

mpls {

interface interface name {

admin-group [ group-name group-name...];

}

}

}

If you do not include the admin-group statement, an interface does not belong to any group.

IGPs use the group information to build link-state packets, which are then flooded throughout the network, providing information to all nodes in the network. At any router, the IGP topology, as well as administrative groups of all the links, are available.

Changing the interface's administrative group affects only new LSPs. Existing LSPs on the interface are not preempted or recomputed to keep the network stable. If LSPs need to be removed because of a group change, issue the clear rsvp session command.

Configure an administrative group constraint for each LSP or for each primary or secondary LSP path, at the [edit protocols mpls label-switched-path lsp-path-name ] or [edit protocols mpls label-switched-path lsp-path-name (primary | secondary)] hierarchy level:

Affinity and link attributes are the same feature as coloring/admin-groups on the JunOS platform; they use the same 32-bit field.

On Junos, the admin-group value is the position one of the 32 attribute bits (0-31). Bit 0 is = 0x00000001 and Bit 31 = 0x80000000. When you configure multiple admin-groups on an MPLS interface, these values are AND'd. This is the same as using attribute-flags (hexadecimal) or attribute-names (colors) on a Cisco router.

For the MPLS-TE tunnels, you use the affinity command to match on either a 1) bit pattern and mask or 2) named affinities (colors) defined in an affinity-map.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/crs/software/crs_r4.2/mpls/command/reference/b_mpls_cr42crs_chapter_011.html#wp2860129857

You should be able to use the affinity option with link coloring from other vendors. All of this information is distributed via OSPF area-opaque (type 10) LSAs.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: