What are the bandwidth requirements between a WCS and a WLC?

Answered Question

We have a customer who has two locations Site A (approx. 30 APs) and Site B (approx. 50 APs). Each site has a WLC. The customer wants to deploy a WCS at Site A that will monitor both WLCs.

What I have been unable to find is how much traffic is going to be generated between the WCS at Site A and the WLC at Site B?

Primarily, I would like to understand how this configuration will impact their point to point WAN link.

Also, are there any known requirements in terms of max. allowable latency between the WCS and WLC?

Any anectdotal evidence would also be appreciated - such as any experiences running this over a T1.

In this particular case, the customer has a 100Mbps wireless point-to-point link as their WAN link, but I do not know the actual throughput capacity and/or if it is half or full duplex.

Thanks,

John

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Lucien Avramov about 7 years 3 months ago

John,

This is very interesting question and I will try to answer with what I know after supporting WCS for a while.

WLC and the WCS communicate over SNMP only. The generated traffic is SNMP (UDP). It's not a lot in terms of bandwidth, should I say quite minimal. Running over a T1 (not congested!) should be completly fine.

There are a few things we can control about snmp as you are over a WAN link: we can increase the SNMP timeout, we can increase the SNMP retries and also, we can reduce the max varbinds per PDU, so the snmp packets sent are smaller and dont get fragmented over your WAN ISP.

As SNMP is UDP, the only things you can control is the timeout and the number of retries because UDP doesnt have the control that TCP offers.

The most intense traffic will be when you first add your controllers in WCS.

I have seen quite a few deployments with WCS over WAN link and tweaking those settings I mentioned made it possible.

You can find those settings in WCS -> Administration -> Settings -> SNMP

HTH

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Lucien Avramov Thu, 10/15/2009 - 08:13

John,

This is very interesting question and I will try to answer with what I know after supporting WCS for a while.

WLC and the WCS communicate over SNMP only. The generated traffic is SNMP (UDP). It's not a lot in terms of bandwidth, should I say quite minimal. Running over a T1 (not congested!) should be completly fine.

There are a few things we can control about snmp as you are over a WAN link: we can increase the SNMP timeout, we can increase the SNMP retries and also, we can reduce the max varbinds per PDU, so the snmp packets sent are smaller and dont get fragmented over your WAN ISP.

As SNMP is UDP, the only things you can control is the timeout and the number of retries because UDP doesnt have the control that TCP offers.

The most intense traffic will be when you first add your controllers in WCS.

I have seen quite a few deployments with WCS over WAN link and tweaking those settings I mentioned made it possible.

You can find those settings in WCS -> Administration -> Settings -> SNMP

HTH

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network