cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Minimal Router Configuration

martone.mike
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1720 router and I just want to do a few quick things to get it up and running. I do not know much IOS.

I want to connect to the WAN address on the 4ESW card, and my LAN (192.168.1.0) on the Ethernet port.

I would like to ensure there is some minimal inbound security.

Thx

3 Replies 3

Danilo Dy
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you need to have basic knowledge of cisco networking for us to teach you how to plug the module, cables, and apply configuration.

get someone in your locality to do it. they may charge though.

if you know a friend who knows cisco networking, get your friend to do it. may not charge you :)

in the long term, start studying cisco networking.

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

The quick and dirty might be to go through the startup configuration on the router. It will ask you basic questions and walk you through a basic setup.

Otherwise.

router>enable

router# config terminal

router(config)#interface s0 (or whatever the interface that connects to your WAN)

router(config-int)#ip address x.x.x.x (ip) y.y.y.y (mask(

router(config-int)#no shut

router(config-int)#interface e0

router(config-int)#ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

router(config-int)#no shut

router(config-int)#exit

router(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0 (or your interface that connects upstream)

router(config)#exit

router#write mem

This config will give you an IP address on your wan interface (dont know if its serial T1 or ethernet) and a IP on your ethernet interface. The static ip route will route all packets from the ethernet/user segment upstream through your WAN interface.

That would be a simple config to get a simple connection going. The trick is on the WAN side, you might need more info for a serial connection like encapsulation types and such.

Give it a shot.

James

Peter010101
Level 1
Level 1

Type

enable

setup

and follow the prompts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: