Re: SPA 941 Firmware updates (SPA942)?

Unanswered Question
Sep 16th, 2009

Sorry to resume an old thread, I have just found this when I noticed new firmware available for the spa962 and spa942 with features we have been waiting for but there is no firmware for spa941.

I have just purchased in last few months approx 30x SPA941s and 4x SPA962s for our new VOIP system.

I read this thread to see that the SPA941 is not like the SPA942, but this is not in the sales product description anywhere for us to understand the differences between the products, so how can we understand the differences before we own the product?

The only difference advertised is there is no PoE.

We didn't need PoE for most phones, the cost for us is not just the cost between SPA941 to SPA942 but also the cost for PoE switches or PoE injectors so actually to cost is more like £30 per phone total cost.

Now we need a new feature from the new firmware for our system and Cisco tell us that it will not be released for the SPA941.

I am very, very upset and disapponted in Cisco.

I especially bought Cisco products because of Cisco's reputation to support products well for a long time and we don't want to change telephones every year.

This is the first time I have bought Cisco products, I don't want it to be the last.

Now it seems I have to change my almost new phones from SPA941 to SPA942.

Cisco, what can you do to help me please.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
gruffle40 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 01:02

Hi. Appreciate the rsponse. But really when you look at the datasheets and the product range there is nothing to suggest that the SPA941 is anything but a SPA942 with a cheaper display and no PoE.

Where is the bit that describes the range that does a feature comparison for the range or describes the xx2 series as enhanced performance over the xx1.

I would say Cisco urgently need to address this, to avoid further confusion for their customers.

Please can you email me directly to discuss further.

Patrick Born Thu, 09/17/2009 - 04:47

Hi gruffle40,

Please make your email address available and I'll request that the product manager contact you.

Patrick Born Thu, 09/17/2009 - 05:06

Hi gruffle40,

You're welcome. I've sent the thread and an email explaining the issue to the phone's product manager and requested that he contact you.

With respect to accessing your account: I, like you, are just a community member. The only difference is that I know some folk on the Engineering and Testing teams. Most of us are volunteers on the community, we've got regular day-jobs. This is all about you that is visible to "regular folk"

gruffle40 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 05:13

new to this forum, hadn't realised email address set to private.

Thanks for your help and time.

I just hope there is some way Cisco can work with us to resolve this as it was a long term decision that we seem to have made wrongly due to unclear info published.

gruffle40 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 07:57

Hi again. Never heard anything. Can you give the chap another nudge please.

Patrick Born Mon, 09/21/2009 - 15:01

Hi gruffle40,

I've just sent him a reminder and labeled it urgent.

gruffle40 Mon, 10/05/2009 - 05:45

Seems that despite your efforts the manager couldn't  care less about this.

Cisco have now managed to make an unhappy customer into a seriously disgruntled one.

I have reviewed all the specifications and there is nothing to substantially suggest that the SPA921 is anything other than a SPA942 without a PoE ethernet switch.

I am absolutely of the opinion that Cisco have not represented the product correctly and that this has led to a customer who should be delighted with his first purchase of Cisco equipment now being most unhappy.

I would like to invite Cisco to prove that they are a responsive and reasonable company and arrange replacement of the handsets and update their documentation to ensure others do not fall into the same trap.

matthewhanson Thu, 10/15/2009 - 09:12

I hate to play Devils Advocate, but nowhere does it indicate that the 941 boasts these features. If you read any documentation it does not mention LDAP and the other features that are different as being supported with the 941, so I really dont think Cisco is at fault.  They shouldn't have to disclaim every feature each item does NOT have, but rather they show what it does.  A little research goes a long way.

Patrick Born Wed, 09/16/2009 - 15:56

Hi gruffle40,

I'm sorry to read that you're unhappy with the SPA9x1 phones that you purchased.

Here's the SPA941 data sheet which describes the phone's capabilities.

This Discussion