cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RVS4000 as a router

davidcasper
Level 1
Level 1

If I just use the RVS4000 as a router - is it just limited to four connections - or can I get the 5th (Internet) connection to work too and have a 5 port router? If so, what do I have to do to make the "Internet" port active?

5 Replies 5

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

David,

I think from your question you are asking if the "WAN" port can be reconfigured to be used as a "LAN" port correct?  If that's the gist of your question then I'm afraid that the RVS400 does not support reconfiguring the WAN port as an additional switched "LAN" port to give you 5 switched ports.  BTW, may I ask why you would want to use it in this way instead of just using say a switch?

Best Regards,

Glenn

Thanks for your rapid response. That was indeed  my question.

If you really want to know, I could never get the RVS4000 to do VPN, so I bought a Draytek Vigor instead which did work. However, since this was lying around, I thought I would upgrade my local network to Gigabit (my DSL uplink is much slower). Yes, I  could buy a switch - but this was just gathering dust - so I thought I would put it to use. Anyway 4 ports is better than none. So thanks for your help.

David

Sure, I can understand now why you would want to reuse it!  No use letting usable hardware sit around and collect dust!  Unfortunately the WAN port is designed as the Outside interface on the RVS4000 and not part of the 4 switch ports.  Sorry! 

Best Regards,

Glenn

daviddun
Level 3
Level 3

Sorry to hear that you could not get VPN to work.

Which are you trying to do, QVPN or IPSec Tunnel?

We have great success is getting this product to do both with little or no problems.

Let me know if you want to give the RVS4000 another chance

Thanks for offering now - but I gave up trying in February 2008. Seems like you guys are very responsive now - back then could not get any support.  Hence my one star vote on Amazon. Sorry about that - but it was true. Maybe a firmware uplift would make the darn thing work - but it is too late for me now since I have a working system - which is what I needed 18 months ago.

Again, thanks for promptly answering my question. Much appreciated.

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: