gens3 for ccie r&s

Unanswered Question
Oct 15th, 2009

can one pass the ccie lab by studying with the gens3 simulator alone.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Davy Ad Sat, 10/17/2009 - 21:38

Hello Taiye,

I would advice you to practice with the real thing (Hardware),because simulator will not help you enough . Since the exam is going to be on Real machine .It will be better you go for real Hardware so that, you can get use to it, simulator is only good for CCNA.

joemichelo Mon, 10/19/2009 - 02:00

Hi Mate,

In my view, GNS3 should almost be enough. Am sure by now you know for CCIE toplogies, Windows "wont" work unless you have a super machine with lots of memory (3-6GB). Linux will work very well even for a medium spec PC. For the switching component, get a rack rental available from several providers (Internetwork Expert, CCBootcamp, etc)- the price is very affordable

Hope this helps

jbrenesj Mon, 10/19/2009 - 16:16

It will definitely help you a lot in the most part. Just try it on a PC with enough resorces and hopefully running Linux. You'll need around 6-9 routers running BGP and I've seen some PCs having severe performance issues with this.

The part where GNS is not useful is when you deal with the Switching part (trunking, channels, MST, tunneling, HSRP and dot1x) but besides that it's a great tool to master the routing topics

This Discussion