Replies

LMS Solaris Install

georgeef1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in the process of migrating our existing Ciscoworks LMS 3.2 server

to a new platform. We are going to be installing LMS on Solaris 10 and we'll be

installing LMS into a whole-root non-global zone.

1) Does Ciscoworks LMS 3.1 support Solaris 10 and the use of virtual zones?

2) Are there any special (or different) installation procedures that must be used to install LMS into a Solaris Zone?

We actually tried running the standard installation script yesterday, but the scripts

tried installing different components into different zones...and basically the whole process was catastrophic.

There

is information on cisco.com which clearly indicates that Solaris 10

virtualization is supported by LMS 3.1...but I cannot find any

installation information. Are there any installation procedures that

must be followed for installing LMS into a Solaris virtual zone? Are

there steps that must be taken to tell LMS which zone to use?

-Please advice

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Yes, it does.

2. No. I did the install of 3.2 on a whole-root non-global zone in our lab, and it works beautifully. I even did it on ZFS, and everything works just fine. Once the zone is installed and running, you can SSH to it, telnet to it, or just use zlogin, then follow the standard install procedure.

It sounds like you're not doing the install from within the zone. I did it through SSH. When I SSH to the zone, it's as if I've SSH'd to a separate machine. The zone itself can only see itself. It has no concept of the global zone, or other non-global zones.

Just pretend the zone is a separate base-metal machine, and LMS should install without a hitch.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

1. Yes, it does.

2. No. I did the install of 3.2 on a whole-root non-global zone in our lab, and it works beautifully. I even did it on ZFS, and everything works just fine. Once the zone is installed and running, you can SSH to it, telnet to it, or just use zlogin, then follow the standard install procedure.

It sounds like you're not doing the install from within the zone. I did it through SSH. When I SSH to the zone, it's as if I've SSH'd to a separate machine. The zone itself can only see itself. It has no concept of the global zone, or other non-global zones.

Just pretend the zone is a separate base-metal machine, and LMS should install without a hitch.