Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0.2 to Unity Connection 7 migration tool

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has a little more insight into if the Migration Export tool is supported with Unity 4.0.2. I have contradicting documents on Cisco's site and ciscounitytools.com website.

Thanks,

George

Please rate useful posts.
23 Replies 23

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please point me at these documents that contradict so they can be corrected.

The CSV based export/import tool is supported from 4.0(2). this is NOT the same tool as COBRAS - COBRAS gets considerably more data for more objects and requires 4.0(5) or later.

Hi Jeff,

I am relieved now. Heres the document I was referring to.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/upgrade/guide/7xcucrug022.html

So just to be very sure, will Unity 4.0.2 be supported with Migration Export tool?

Thanks,

George

actually messages may not be able to come out of 4.0(2)... I'll have to check tomorrow AM. the MAL interface changed in 4.0(3) rather significantly and the export tool is using the MAL interface to get the messages out.

Frankly, we highly recommend going to 4.0(5) and using COBRAS. QA doesn't even test this path any longer and we're dropping it entirely in 8.x just for the record. Is there some reason upgrading to 4.0(5) is not an option for you?

ah, someone in QA has pointed out that for the 7.x release of Connection they only tested back to 4.0(5) apparently - the code can handle directory information back to 4.0(1) and messages back to 4.0(3) but that's moot at this point since it was never qualified (hence not TAC or BU supported).

There's no cost to upgrade to 4.0(5) (minor version) from 4.0(2) - is it just the time involved that turns you away?

Yep, just the time constraint. I am not looking to migrate messages, just subscriber data. Assuming 4.0(2) migration is not TAC supported I think I have to move to 4.0(5). I will have to talk to the customer on this. Also, I was watching the COBRAS videos and the Import video seems to be clipped off towards the end. :)

The video was 49 minutes and a couple seconds, right? Yeah, I'm just wrapping up there and the audio got clipped off. You didn't miss anything.

I need to redo all those videos for the 8.0 release - lots of new functionality and material to cover, I'll be using the updated version of Camtasia and they'll be much better quality this time around...

Sounds good. Thanks Jeff for all your help and I appreciate you responding to my post.

Hi Jeff,

Do you foresee any issues on rebuilting a server in VMware and restoring my 4.0.2 data to it, then upgrading it to 4.0.5 and running COBRAS on it.

Thanks

George

not sure how you're getting your 4.0(2) server into VMWare but on paper that's not a problem - we test with VMWare all the time with COBRAS...

Hi Jeff,

We will install 4.0.2 on VMware and do a DiRT restore on to it. Upgrade to 4.0.5 and then run COBRAS.

How does that sound?

Thanks,

George

Perfectly reasonable plan of action.

Thanks again Jeff.

My next question will be, will the import into Unity Cxn be supported by TAC if something goes wrong?

it'll be supported by me insofar as I can and TAC escalates COBRAS issues to me.

If you want you can FTP the resulting COBRAS backup you do somewhere and I can do a debug import into a lab system here first. No messages please... just the directory backup MDB (the lawyers get on me about messages).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: