cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA3102 constently resetting after 4-5 minutes

Johns4321
Level 1
Level 1

This is long over due because I've been living with this issue for a while.Time to ask.

I have a SPA3102 with a local VoIP service. I do not have it attached to an active PSTN line. For some strange reason the unit is resetting itself. After 4 minutes the power light blinks for 30 secs (ish), then the internet followed by the phone LED's turn off and the power light turns red. The unit resets and reconnects to the internet then the VoIP service. I've read the admin manual for the unit with no luck pertaining to fixing this quark. I have also tried disabling the VoIP service, the unit still resets in the same fashion. I have even disconnected the internet connection. The unit resets (diferent light combinations, but the web interface Elapsed Time confirms that its resetting). The one thing I have not done, is reset it to the factory settings because I'm afraid of screwing up my VoIP service.

Any ideas? Solutions are good too.

Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dear Sir;

Before doing a factory reset, I suggest you take debug traces of the device. the procedure is defined on the links below and the tool can be also downloaded there.

/docs/DOC-9862

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5405

regards
Alberto

View solution in original post

The factory reset will definitely wipe out all configs, but if you back it up first, you should be safe.  Per Alberto's last post, you could run a syslog to keep from resetting the device.  However, if the syslog doesn't reveal problem, then a factory reset will be your best bet.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to update/modify your account, but I will attach the syslog server to this post for you.  :-)

12 Replies 12

mihagan
Level 1
Level 1

What firmware version is currently on your SPA3102? Was your device provisioned by your ITSP or did you configure it yourself?

The current firmware is 5.1.7 updated in Feb this year.

I bought the unit myself and had help from the ITSP senior technical support in setting up the specific settings. I guess I could save the configuration screens and then do a factory reset.

I forgot to say in the first messsage, that the reason this reset is a problem is because if the phone is in use during the time the power light is flashing, the call is dropped. However, if you place a call or receive a call before it begins to flash, you could talk for as long as you'd like.

Thanks

That's a rather odd issue you're experiencing.  My first suggestion would be to backup the configs and set it back to factory defaults.  If the device is still experiencing the same problem with only registration info in place, I would have it replaced.

To reset the device:

Access the IVR: ****

Press: 73738#  (spells out "reset")

Press: 1

Thank you.

Do you have the factory default configurations saved somewhere? I'd like to reset everything manually first (except the VoIP access password) prior to going cold turkey.

Thanks

To get a backup:
-Click Admin, then Advanced
-In the Web Browser, select File - Save As
-Change "Save as type" to - Webpage complete
-Click save

To restore:
-Locate the saved .htm file on your hard drive
-Right click on it and select - Open With...
-Find and select "Notepad"
-While holding the Control key, hit "F", this will open a "Search/Find box"
-Search for the following code:

-Change this line to:

http://IP_Address_of_your_SPA3102/admin/asipura.spa" ........

-Substitute "IP_Address_of_your_SPA3102" with the actual IP Address
-While holding the Control key, hit "S" to save it.
-Open the file using your web browser
-Click - Submit Changes

Hi Derek,

Just to confirm. What is this going to do? Reset to factory defaults? My ITSP are VERY slow at responding these days and I don't want to go to them and ask them to input their service password within the settings. I would be out of a phone for a while. This is why I would like to know the results of this action. Will I still have my server and password information in tacked.

Thanks

Steve

Dear Sir;

Before doing a factory reset, I suggest you take debug traces of the device. the procedure is defined on the links below and the tool can be also downloaded there.

/docs/DOC-9862

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/docs/DOC-5405

regards
Alberto

Great idea. However I don't have partner access to download this utility. Could you give me temporary access?

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to update/modify your account, but I will attach the syslog server to this post for you.  :-)

Okay. That was very helpful. Here's what the system is telling me.

FMM >>>> Failed upgrade

** postupgrade handling (0)

** postupgrade handling (0)

FPRV >>>> Failed upgrade . . . rebooting

system request reboot

fu:1:645f, 043f 0001

System started: ip@192.168.1.138, reboot reason:W80

So this tells me it's trying to update, fails and reboots. How do I turn that off?

Thanks

Steve

Solution was that the Provisioning was set for remote upgrade. It couldn't find the server and failed to update. The results was eventually a restart.

Thank you everyone for your help. The debug tool was great to see what was going on.

Thanks

Steve

The factory reset will definitely wipe out all configs, but if you back it up first, you should be safe.  Per Alberto's last post, you could run a syslog to keep from resetting the device.  However, if the syslog doesn't reveal problem, then a factory reset will be your best bet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: