Cisco Pvc2300

Unanswered Question
Oct 16th, 2009

Here is my setup...

I have a high end PC to monitor 24/7 on all 8 PVC2300 Cisco POE IP cameras.

So it will go like this... Cable Modem>Router, router connection to PC. Router connection to switch. Then all 8 ip cameras connect to the switch? Once this is all setup, the cisco software should find all 8 ip camers? Also, do I need to forward any ports or is that just if I wanna monitor from the web, etc ... Also... I plan on using a 3rd party monitoring software to monitor all 8 cameras. So I'm guessing I need to setup each cam. and will need the port numbers and ip address. Or is there just one port number to monitor all cameras?

I really need to make sure this is the right setup before I spend 5k on this system.

Thank you!

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
David Hornstein Fri, 10/16/2009 - 23:44

Hi Morrison,

See my comments below, in blue.

So it will go like this... Cable Modem>Router, router connection to PC. Router connection to switch. Then all 8 ip cameras connect to the switch?  No problem at this stage

Once this is all setup, the cisco software should find all 8 ip camers?  But if the cameras have the old firmware version on them, just grab the camera firmware and update the cameras, then the free utility should pick up the camera.  Or you can just manually configure a camera, but it's handy always fix the IP address of the camera.  Fixing the IP address of the camera  makes it much easier to manage and setup

Also, do I need to forward any ports or is that just if I wanna monitor from the web, etc ...Just be careful or aware regarding WAN bandwidth utilisation.  If each camera is streaming 1.2Mbit/sec, do you have a 8 meg uplink, hmmm probably not, so you may have to adjust the frame rate down, so that you do not over subscribe the WAN uplink to a remote monitoring station. Over subscription of the WAN uplink will result in video frame loss. So just be aware of the limitations on uplink speed.

Also... I plan on using a 3rd party monitoring software to monitor all 8 cameras. what software, Milestone or NUUO ?

So I'm guessing I need to setup each cam. and will need the port numbers and ip address. Or is there just one port number to monitor all cameras? being a person of no imagination, I started with WAN port 2300 and did a Port Address translation (PAT) to internal port 80 of the camera, so i didn't have to alter the camera TCP port.  Also it's a easy number for me to remember.  The next camera I set the WAN port to 2301 and PAT that request to port 80 of the next camera.

I really need to make sure this is the right setup before I spend 5k on this system.

Thank you!

Actions

This Discussion