Views
Helpful
Replies

CCM4.1 to CUCM7.1 Upgrade.. DMA / Answer File Generator Query

jonmo2578
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone...

We are currently preparing for a CM upgrade from 4.1 to 7.1(2). This will involve new servers to replace our current ones. we are setting up a test lab with the new boxes to ensure that the latest 7.1 integrates sucessfully with our day to day phone applications..

The Cisco Release Upgrade and DMA documentation is rather confusing for this particular scenario and I was wondering if anyone could please clarify..

I have run the DMA tool on the Publisher and it has generated the .tar file and .lic files in the desired locations.

The documentation then says that these need to be copied to a network server before upgrading.. However, as we are upgrading onto new servers in our lab, I cant see any reason to do this.

The guide then says run the Answer File Generator to produce the "platformConfig.xml" file to assist the 7.1 install.. This references the .tar file created by the DMA however doesnt let you specify a local path, only a remote network location..

Is the Answer File Generator process a necessity for the offline install or can we proceed with just the .tar and .lic files created by the DMA export. ?

If the Answer File Generator step is required, then can the .tar files be referenced from a local path or does it have to be copied onto a remote server first ?

Thanks in advance for any advice given..

Jon.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Hello Jon

Inline:

The documentation then says that these need to be copied to a network server before upgrading.. However, as we are upgrading onto new servers in our lab, I cant see any reason to do this.

[Gonzalo]

When you are upgrading we are going to install Linux over Windows, or in your case replacing servers, hence the .tar file generated by DMA needs to be moved to a SFTP server so when you are installing and select W1 upgrade, you can access that file via network from the server you are installing CUCM 7.X.

CUCM Answer File Generator is for unattended installations and is ONLY designed for use on Subscribers

is not required, !!!

http://www.cisco.com/web/cuc_afg/index.html

Let us know if you have any other questions

Great.. thanks for the advice.. I will give the SFTP method a go tomorrow..

Cheers

Jon.

Hello, I'm not familiar with the upgrade process and need to do an upgrade to new hardware from 4.1(3) to 7.1(2), when I did understand it, you need to run the DMA utility and export the data local, then you have a .tar and a .lic file that I can use to migrate to the new servers, the answer file is not needed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: