cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick Jumbo Frames on 3750 Question

mparella
Level 1
Level 1

Very simple- I have two 3750's (SwitchA & SwitchB) connected through an uplink. Multiple servers/storage devices connected to each. I need to enable jumbo frames for a few servers on SwitchA to communicate to a few servers on SwitchB. The 3750 cannot do per port jumbo frames only globally. My question is that if I enable the jumbo on both switches how will the other port/devices deal with that since traffic since they won't be configured for jumbo frames? Will there be performance issues or a problem?

Will rate post.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

simontibbitts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

There will not be any performance issue. LAN speed ports can easily handle jumbo frames and if anything there will be an improvement as there will be less overhead.

The other devices will continue to send the same size packets as end devices do not know what the port MTU is configured for. The MTU size that is sent is configured on the end devive itself so they will continue as normal sending their packets (normally MTU 1500)

Simon

Thanks, Simon. This is what we suspected.

Cheers!

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card