RME - Device configuration backup

Unanswered Question
Oct 16th, 2009

Hi All,

I am new to Ciscoworks, where I can find the oldest configuration of one device which is configured 1 year back in CiscoWorks?

Purgue is not enabled to remove the old jobs, so we can get the oldest job (configuration of the device) right?

Can some one guide me please how I can get the oldest configuration of one device?

Regards,

Naidu.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.5 (2 ratings)
Joe Clarke Fri, 10/16/2009 - 09:12

Go to RME > Config Mgmt > Archive Mgmt > Version Tree. Select your device, and you will be able to see all of the config revisions under its PRIMARY > RUNNING config.

ilnaiduccna Sun, 10/18/2009 - 21:41

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your response.

I checked the above mentioned path, but there I can see only 8 versions which are for Sep and Oct months, there is no versions for old months.

I am sure there were many changes on that device and purgue not enabled since starting.

I am at strange as my manager rushing me to get that information....Please help me.

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Sun, 10/18/2009 - 21:49

If the configs are not there, and you do not have a backup of LMS which contains them, then they are lost. Are you absolutely certain config purging is not enabled? Post a screenshot of RME > Admin > Config Mgmt > Purge Settings.

ilnaiduccna Sun, 10/18/2009 - 22:15

Hi Joe,

Please find the attached screenshots for Purge Settings.

Note: I can see the previous backups for another devices having 12 to 13 versions. But the one device only not have more than 8 versions as of now.

Could you please tell me about LMS backup, how can I take which containes all configured devices configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Mon, 10/19/2009 - 04:07

Yes, purging is really disabled. Assuming it has always been this way, then the device was never archived prior to September. It could be that perhaps the device was removed from RME and re-added.

LMS backups are configured under Common Services > Server > Admin > Backup. You can have multiple backup generations saved. I recommend retaining at least three backups.

ilnaiduccna Mon, 10/19/2009 - 05:27

Hi Joe,

Yes, LMS backups are configured for Monthly and the backup directory is D:/

Is it ok if I changed the schedule backup from monthly to weekly?

So, in the above provided directly in LMS Server, can we found the all backup configurations of the devices?

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Mon, 10/19/2009 - 06:12

You can change the backup to whatever scheduled you'd like. I typically perform nightly backups, and keep five revisions (I have the disk space for it).

Yes, the backups may contain the missing configs. You would need to restore one of them to access those configs, though.

ilnaiduccna Wed, 10/21/2009 - 05:54

Hi Joe,

Here some points we have to take a look....

1. Device has been configured since 1 year and the daily backup running since that time.

2. In month of August,09 the daily backup has been successfull for the one device which is showing only 8 versions which should show the previous versions.

(I found it in RME->Config Mgmt->Archive Mgmt Jobs) So it means that it should show the previous versions.

3. I am sure that the one device was there since 1 year and not been removed and re-added.

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Wed, 10/21/2009 - 09:31

RME only archives the config if it has changed. So, while it may be archiving the config every day, it may not create a new archive entry every day.

It's also nearly impossible to troubleshooting something which happened so far in the past. That is why I suggested you restore LMS from a known good backup. From there, it may be possible to see why a config is deleted provided such a deletion is noticed quickly.

ilnaiduccna Thu, 10/22/2009 - 21:45

Hi Joe,

Once again thank you very much for your all information in this.

But still my manager not listening what information we had and try to explain him about the fact.

Now I want open a case with support team through which we purchased long back this LMS 2.6.

They are asking me like... If we could provide with the ID/serial of Your current installation, then I'm able to ask Cisco Systems for further information, regarding the possibility

As I am new to Ciscoworks and this was purchased long back I dont know from where to get the ID/Serial number of the current LMS 2.6

Could you please guide me from where to get the ID/Serial number.

Thanks in advance,

Naidu :-)

Joe Clarke Thu, 10/22/2009 - 21:47

This is not available within the product. The box should have a PIN/PAK number on it. Alternatively, your SAS contract should be good enough to get support.

ilnaiduccna Thu, 10/22/2009 - 22:11

Hi Joe,

You mean the box which we will get with software CD and other documents at the time of purchase?

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Thu, 10/22/2009 - 22:15

Yes. There should be a number on the box as well as a paper that came with the box.

ilnaiduccna Fri, 10/23/2009 - 01:42

Hi Joe,

Small doubt for now...

Since how long the device can will keep its Archive (Versions)

Example say the device configured 12 months back and assume there might be 200 times config change happend then will it keep all 200 versions or it will keep for some time period only? (say for 6 months or something).

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Fri, 10/23/2009 - 07:33

If you do not configure purging, it will keep all of those configs (provided you have the disk space).

ilnaiduccna Sun, 10/25/2009 - 23:11

Hi Joe,

Hope you are doing well.

I got to know yesterday that unfortunately we don't have support from Cisco. (they don't buy support)

So as you said earlier I thought to restore the LMS backup....Could you please suggest me in this case how to do LMS restoration.

The attached the file showing the exact path of LMS backup.

In the LMS Server->Directory D:\ -> I have Documents and settings, I386, bootsect.bin, win51, win51is and win51is.sp1

And these files are modified date as 2007 & 2003, So it seems these are not latest backup files if I am correct.

So, which file we need to restor to get old configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

ilnaiduccna Sun, 10/25/2009 - 23:12

Hi Joe,

Hope you are doing well.

I got to know yesterday that unfortunately we don't have support from Cisco. (they don't buy support)

So as you said earlier I thought to restore the LMS backup....Could you please suggest me in this case how to do LMS restoration.

The attached the file showing the exact path of LMS backup.

In the LMS Server->Directory D:\ -> I have Documents and settings, I386, bootsect.bin, win51, win51is and win51is.sp1

And these files are modified date as 2007 & 2003, So it seems these are not latest backup files if I am correct.

So, which file we need to restor to get old configurations.

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Mon, 10/26/2009 - 09:39

There should be a directory named as a number (e.g. 0, 1, 2, etc.). That directory holds the LMS backup, and that is what will be restored. For example, say you had d:\backup\0. You would then run:

NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\restorebackup.pl -d d:\backup -gen 0

It sounds like you don't have any backups, though.

ilnaiduccna Mon, 10/26/2009 - 22:50

Hi Joe,

I can see the LMS monthly backup set under backup directory D:/ (Please find the attached one)

My present LMS server is Windows

When I logged into the server, the D:/ drive type is CD Drive but it is opening and there are files like..(please find the attached one)

Regards,

Naidu.

Attachment: 
Joe Clarke Mon, 10/26/2009 - 23:00

Based on this, backups are not working. The way you have it configured, you are backing up one generation to your CD drive which will not work. You would need to change your backup directory to a writable drive. I would also recommend you enable more generations (I recommend at least three). However, at this point, it looks like you do not have any backups from which you can restore LMS.

ilnaiduccna Mon, 10/26/2009 - 23:14

Hi Joe,

This is very nice conclusion.

I thought to change the backup directory from D (CD drive) to C:\

Could you please tell me more about more generations (I recommend at least three) which you mentioned in your post. And how to enable more generations, so that this will help me a lot.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Naidu.

Joe Clarke Mon, 10/26/2009 - 23:30

I would recommend you put backups in a separate subdirectory off of root (e.g. C:\lmsbackup). Each generation is another instance of a backup. If you have multiple, should something go wrong, you have multiple revisions to which you can revert. For my servers, I take nightly backups, and I store five revisions. This gives me a good safety net should I notice a problem.

Actions

This Discussion