cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity SQL Licence Requirements

ian-heath
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer who has a 2-server Cisco Unity 7.x solution running on non-Cisco (HP) servers which they sourced themselves. CUWL licencing is used.

They have also provided the SQL2000 installation. My question is what are the licencing requirements relating to SQL? Do they need to purchase licences? If so, per CPU or CALs?

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The SQL license comes bundled with the Unity setup - if you have a small system (i.e. 8 ports) then you would get the free MSDE version, larger systems come with the full SQL bundled. There shouldn't be any need to provide their own unless say it's a small system and they wanted to cough up for the full SQL version anyway for whatever reason.

Either way, the Unity SQL license is per CPU - there's no limit on the number of client connections to Unity or the like.

Thanks for the prompt response.

In the past when I've seen Unity media there's been a MS licence key on the CD/DVD sleeve (for both Exchange/SQL).

This customer is licenced via CUWL so the media comes in a large folder and there were no licence keys included. In this instance I didn't actually need the keys since the customer provided SQL but I wondered whether the lack of keys indicated the lack of licences too?

so far as I know you can't get Unity without the SQL license (part of the agreement with MS). But as noted if it was for a smaller system it will be MSDE which does not require a license.

You still need the SQL key to install the tools per the install document so you can move the MDF and LDF files.

I experienced the same thing last week at a CUWL install. I haven't opened a case on it yet (other things on my plate); however, it appears someone missed a step in the CUWL media process. The key was always on the CD sleeve but missing in the CUWL binder.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: