Replies

Hardware Solutions for Data Replication

truyenle2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing an issue as:

Two data center Houston & Dallas.

Right now, the data replication is done by SQL Server. However it is not reliable and slow.

So I am looking for a hardware solution that is more reliable, fast. I wonder if Cisco MDS products is the right choice in this case?

Please help me.

2 Replies 2

stephen2615
Level 3
Level 3

A MDS switch by itself is not going to answer your replication problems. Log shipping is a fairly common solution that sort of works as long as you have the right people and equipment available.

I had a HDS true copy based geo cluster that worked like a charm but it was very expensive considering everything. We had to have the storage arrays with outrageous software licences at both ends. We had the switches at both ends using native FC replication and we had Cisco ONS devices in the middle of the links. Synchronous true copy is only good for about 32 miles and then you can get latency issues. Asycn can go a lot further. A lot of companies use Veritas HA for geo clusters and it works well.

There are other IP based replication solutions that are better than log shipping. Have a look at www.inmage.net and see if they can offer what you want.

So, yes MDS products can be part of an excellent hardware solution. Are they what you want and can afford is another question.

Hi Stephen2615,

Thank for the information. I will look at inmage.net for a further solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: