Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.1 can't collect inventory from 6506-E

adery6300
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have a bunch of 6506E and 6509E all managed by LMS, but our two new ones (6506-E) are giving LMS some trouble. Their config is successfully archived, but their inventory is not collected (Job status : Device Collection Failed). It doesn't _seem_ to be an SNMP timeout issue AFAIK.

I've attached the (hopefully) relevant portion of IC_Server.log.

Thanks for the help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This is CSCsx58694. A patch for RME 4.2 is available from TAC while the bug is fixed in LMS 3.2. The recommended solution is to upgrade to LMS 3.2.

View solution in original post

Bumping the Campus timeout has no effect on RME.  Go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and edit the device attributes for this switch.  Enter an SNMP timeout value of 10, then save the changes, and be sure to apply them on the previous screen.  Inventory collection should work then.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

adery6300
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the attachment, as the form didn't let me upload it at time of posting.

What version of code is this switch running? What version of RME?

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXI2a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

System image file is "sup-bootflash:s72033-ipservicesk9-vz.122-33.SXI2a.bin"

RME 4.2.0

This is CSCsx58694. A patch for RME 4.2 is available from TAC while the bug is fixed in LMS 3.2. The recommended solution is to upgrade to LMS 3.2.

Allright, now I've got a reason to push LMS 3.2 in!

Joe, you are the man!

Assuming 3.2 is a free upgrade from 3.1, can I download it from Cisco.com or must I order it from our usual sales rep ?

Thanks a bunch, and a good weekend to you!

You can do both. You can enter your LMS 3.0 SAS contract number into http://www.cisco.com/upgrade/ to request the DVD kit, or you can download the LMS 3.2 eval from http://www.cisco.com/go/lms/ . If you install the eval over a licensed 3.1, you will get a licensed 3.2.

I've just upgraded to LMS 3.2, and LMS still can't inventory my two 6506-E.

I've run an "SNMP Walk" against one device, and it seems to work : here's the first few lines of it :

The following is a SNMP walk of device 10.x.x.x starting from

SNMP Walk Output
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RFC1213-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: "Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9-VM), Version 12.2(33)SXI2a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Tue 01-Sep-09 22:55 by prod_re"
RFC1213-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB::cat6506
EXPRESSION-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (803850159) 93 days, 0:55:01.59

And I checked the IC_Server.log... this time it mentions SNMP timeout... I tried bumping the timeout to 20 seconds with 2 retries in Campus Manager.

I've attached my IC_Server.log excerpt.

Thanks for the help!

Alex.

Bumping the Campus timeout has no effect on RME.  Go to RME > Devices > Device Management > RME Devices, and edit the device attributes for this switch.  Enter an SNMP timeout value of 10, then save the changes, and be sure to apply them on the previous screen.  Inventory collection should work then.

It works now, thanks Joe!

Is it possible to set the snmp timeout globally to 10, and if so, is it a good idea to do so ?

Thanks!

Alex.

Yes, you can do this under RME > Admin > System Preferences > RME Device Attributes.  However, this will not affect devices whose attributes have been updated individually.  I would also caution against raising the SNMP timeout so high for all devices.  It could cause jobs to run longer than they should if unreachable or pre-deployed devices are encountered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: