cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME LMS 2.6 Archive Partially Successful - VLAN "invalid command"

analysts
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to find details for RME lms2.6 archive management. Specifically Partially successful. I am getting VLAN failures with the error "command invalid" but I cannot find any details how this is obtained, what commands are used and where the data is stored. Both Running and Startup are successful. How can i resolve this issue? Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The command itself is "copy". It's arguments are "flash:vlan.dat tftp:". So ACS is probably showing you correct information. RME will not just send copy. There is also no way to change the command RME uses to copy the vlan.dat file.

If you're using telnet (as opposed to SSH), I recommend you start a packet capture for all tcp/23 traffic to one of the failing devices. Then start a new Sync Archive job for that device. When it fails, check the trace, and you should see exactly what RME is sending, and exact reply from the device.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for RME to be able to fetch the vlan config, it logs into the device using either telnet or SSH, then runs:

copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:

If this command fails, then you get the error you are seeing.

Thanks for that. I will try to look into why this is failing now I know what it is trying to do.

analysts
Level 1
Level 1

Further to my post on 17th October I am still trying to find out how to fault find the issue.

A useful reply from J Clarke explained what could be happening but I dont know how to correct it. I currently have 1200 nodes with this erro. The suggested explanation is:-

In order for RME to be able to fetch the vlan config, it logs into the device using either telnet or SSH, then runs:

copy flash:vlan.dat tftp:

If this command fails, then you get the error you are seeing.

My original message is below. Any suggestions please.

Oct 17, 2009, 8:47am PST

I have been trying to find details for RME lms2.6 archive management. Specifically Partially successful. I am getting VLAN failures with the error "command failed" but I cannot find any details how this is obtained, what commands are used and where the data is stored. Both Running and Startup are successful. How can i resolve this issue? Thanks

Does the copy command I mentioned work when done manually?

analysts
Level 1
Level 1

I have been able to get one step further and checked the acs server which suggests that rme is only sending copy . I now need to know how to change this in rme please

The command itself is "copy". It's arguments are "flash:vlan.dat tftp:". So ACS is probably showing you correct information. RME will not just send copy. There is also no way to change the command RME uses to copy the vlan.dat file.

If you're using telnet (as opposed to SSH), I recommend you start a packet capture for all tcp/23 traffic to one of the failing devices. Then start a new Sync Archive job for that device. When it fails, check the trace, and you should see exactly what RME is sending, and exact reply from the device.

Thanks for the detail. It will probably be next week now before i can get this arranged but you might well have identified the problem ie. the firewall might not be allowing tcp/23.

analysts
Level 1
Level 1

For information we found that opening up the firewall rules allowed RME to collect the data required and solved the problem....Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: