Views
Helpful
Replies

CAMPUS MANAGER WAN LINKS NOT DETECTED

hanis2903
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the scenario:

We have our netwoks mainly composed of cisco devices (routers, switches. We are running LMS3.0.1 with Campus Manager 5.05. I managed to discover routers on each remote branches but I am unable to view a link between them using Topology Services.

I can view each device via chassis View in Ciscoview module.

Our Backbone is MPLS and each remote branch is connected to the Main site.

Am I missing something? why I can not see the WAN links? and how to fix it?

What is needed to be able to detect all WAN links?

Thanks,

Hani,

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In order for links to be drawn on the map, CDP must be present on both ends of the link. That is, if you run "show cdp nei" on both devices, you must see each device as a neighbor of the other. This is typically not the case in MPLS clouds, and therefore it is expected not to see those WAN links.

Thanks but our objective is to be able to monitor all WAN links. How can it be done with Ciscoworks.

Regards,

Hani,

Exactly what on these links do you want to manage? There is no way to visualize them in LMS.

What we want is to be able to detect if a line goes down and to visualize it on a map.

So according to you Ciscoworks can not accomplish this objective?

Thanks,

Hani,

While the DFM application will be able to detect if a WAN interface goes down, you will not be able to visualize that link as being down with Campus Manager (or any other component in LMS).

Dear Clarke,

Basically what we are looking for is to be able to visualise links over MPLS cloud.

I need your help on this. To be able to view links on the topology map in campus, all you need at least is CDP and SNMP RO enabled on the devices. In my case our backbone is IPVPN and since it is layer 3, Campus will not be able to map any links. Humm too bad I can only view all the cisco devices as unconnected.

We are also using differents technology, WIMAX,DLL, IPVPN. I only succeeded in viewing links between serial links.

I did a quick search and found that there is another product called Cisco Active Network Abstraction that can visualise links at layer 3 over MPLS.

What do you recommend? Shall we go and try this software of will the next release of LMS will include Layer 3 mapping?

I do not support ANA, and I don't have any experience with it. The next release of LMS will not support layer 3 mapping, however. If you would like to investigate ANA more, you can contact your sales team, and they can help you decide if the product is right for you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: