cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need a Cheap SSL VPN Solution

visitor68
Level 4
Level 4

I am looking for the equivalent of a network-based VPN solution - in terms of functionality -- but SSL-based so that a clien tis not necessary.

So, with network VPN, a client establishes a session with a concentrator, which terminates the VPN connection, then the client is authenticated, and then assigned a local IP address from the LAN pool.

I want all that functionality, but in the form of SSL. So, what I am envisioning is opening a browser, entering an IP address of the SSL appliance that will terminate the connection, then get authenticated and assigned an address. Hopefully, I can get the SSL appliance to do local authnetication and local DHCP services, because the company does not own separate aaa or AD servers, nor do they have a DHCP server.

So, does this sort of SSL solution exist?

2 Replies 2

cisco24x7
Level 6
Level 6

Yes, either Juniper SSL VPN or F5 FirePass will do the trick for you.

Herbert Baerten
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco offers both clientless SSL VPN as well as Anyconnect (previously called SVC: SSL VPN client).

Note that the Anyconnect client does not need to be pre-installed (it can be but it doesn't have to be).

I.e. you can connect with a browser to the IOS router or ASA firewall, authenticate, the client will automatically install on your local machine, it will connect (using SSL) and get an IP address assigned, and when you're done it will either remain installed or clean itself up (depending on how you configure it).

hth